The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
14,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a doe that has been a 'hard keeper.' She will be 2yo next month. She kidded in April, but I had to nurse her along, give her propylene glycol, etc. No reasons why, fecals were good, blood work fine, etc.
I had to give her thiamine shots as well, and even bought sweet horse feed to get her interested in eating grain.

She accidentally got bred in August right after weaning 2 of her 3 babies <1 was a bottle baby>.
She was skin and bones, and still is. She is treated the same as the other does - we've had does kid back to back before and they bounced back quickly.

She just hasn't put on any weight other than a bit of baby belly. Her eyelids are paler than usual, and I do plan on doing another fecal <I need to make the Epsom salt solution so I can do it>. I did worm everyone with injectable Ivermectin, and they get a 2nd dose today.
I didn't notice a real change in eyelid color before/after worming.

She's been extremely itchy and has had me paranoid about lice, but I've checked her several times and have seen nothing. I'm positive now it must just be her winter coat growing in that has her completely annoyed, or possibly allergies?

I'm just not sure what to do for her. She is due New Years Eve/Day, so far she's doing fine as far as eating, being active, etc.
She is getting 2 large cups of pelleted 16% medicated grain in the evening, and as of a couple of days ago we started giving her 2 large cups in the mornings as well. She is at the bottom of the pecking order.

Any thoughts? Anything I can try to supplement her with? I'm not sure that BOSS is going to help as much?
She does seem to be from slow growing genetics, but surely that's not going to keep the weight off...

Don't let the hair fool you, she is very bony :( She's such a sweet girl, breaks my heart not knowing what else I should do for her.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,805 Posts
Maybe she is allergic to goats? :) Sorry, could not be of more help. Other then, some goats end up with something missing and there is just nothing you can do to make them look or act normal. Its with these ones that you need to weigh the quality of life they have. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
BOSS would make a difference as it gives a lot of oils which will help put weight on....will also help with the itchy too. If she gets as bad with this pg and delivery as the last one, you really need to weigh if she's worth keeping. You're putting a lot of time and money into one animal....

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
with my old saanen doe...it really helped to give a mix of flax seed and wheat germ in enough coconut oil to make a paste...her coat got shiny and sleek and her was able to maintain a bit more weight... I was giving 2 tablespoons a day...but you could give more...like with anything, go slow and increase alittle at a time..

·
14,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much, I will look into the flax seed/wheat germ option and weigh it towards BOSS.

She seems fine other than just being so rough looking. She gets around fine, is active, will bully the 3 young does if she feels the need. I don't mind feeding her more if that's what she needs to maintain herself - especially since she didn't get a break like the other does. I'm really hoping she doesn't go downhill, it was very nerve wrecking last time, especially since I don't know what was bothering her. We thought maybe she was extremely depressed - all the other does had babies, they picked on her, and she seemed lonely, I'm praying that's all it was, and that giving her a better diet will help her out. If it's just the way she is, and isn't an unhealthy issue, then I can overlook it so long as she can produce babies that show well in 4-H for the kids - are healthy, can be sold as breeding stock, etc.

We raised her runt on a bottle, and she's our baby, we just adore her. She was only about 5lbs. at birth, she's nearly 7mo and only about 65lbs. Like her mama, she's a slow grower, but we are willing to give her a chance, and plan to wait until she's 1 1/2 yo to breed.
She finished first in most all of the fair shows, if anyone beat her it was her triplet sister lol But only a couple of times. She was our county overall champion doe as well, so we're very proud of our little 'runt' baby :)

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
10,704 Posts
You know, for goats where you just can't pin down what's wrong, I suggest a product made by Fir Meadow called Better Daze. It's herbal. You can brew it as a tea, drench it, add it to their feed, or make it into a cookie. It was designed for rescue and older goats, or goats who are just rougher than they "should" be.

I used Replamin for a while and was very happy with it.

·
Super Moderator
14,801 Posts
By any chance have you done a fecal on her??? I have a doe with the same story but she got anemic....I got her over that but still not so nice looking. Just did my first fecal on her and had cocci. Mine also decided to go get bred and she is worse then yours. Now that we did the cocci meds I'm going to go to town and get her some boss and calf manna and a good 16% feed. When I got my little buck I made a mix of boss calf manna 16% goat feed and shredded beat pulp. He gained just shy of a pound a day on that. He was the runt of the three and now is the biggest.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Rice Bran will help with weight gain, too.

·
14,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just realized I left something out of my original post! I forgot to mention that she foams at the mouth when she chews her cud. She's always done this, and I've never seen another goat do it. A friend mentioned she could be a lazy cud chewer? But I'd never heard of that before lol.

I will do a fecal as soon as I make more Epsom salt solution for it. I can't find the container I was using, so I'll have to find something else to make it in.
I did do a fecal about 2 months ago, and there wasn't enough of an egg count to even consider an issue.
But that's pretty much been the case every time we do one.

I will give her a shot of thiamine this afternoon about an hour before feeding time. It's going to be nasty out tonight so I am going to stall her tonight, so she has her own hay.

·
Registered
620 Posts
BOSS would make a difference as it gives a lot of oils which will help put weight on....will also help with the itchy too. If she gets as bad with this pg and delivery as the last one, you really need to weigh if she's worth keeping. You're putting a lot of time and money into one animal....
What is BOSS? I have never heard of this. Thanks!:confused:

·
Super Moderator
14,801 Posts
No for like 5 months I looked for a feed called boss. I gave up and then someone said later on what it was lol.
I don't think foaming while chewing cud is any issue for her. I had a doe that did that and she was the fattest Doe I had. I was told to offer baking soda for her but never seemed to help. It was really awesome since my kids just watched old yeller right before we saw her foaming for the first time lol......didn't go over well with my very serious son :p
I do swear by the calf manna more then I do anything else. I had a made that was just a messed up girl. I could never keep weight on her and my mom told me she would feed her made calf manna so I tried it. It totally won me over. A few months later it was like looking at a different horse. We then later on got a truck load of boss so I started putting that in and that made her shine and look slick. So I'm fairly in love with the two feeds.

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
My Nubian doe foams too..always has..she is five now and sometimes it foams so much it hangs and falls off her lip like shaving cream lol..
calf manna is good stuff!

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I think you are already doing the right things. You just recently doubled her feed. I'd give that a little time to work. One like her I would prefer she was on some alfalfa. Can't remember what you said about hay. Keep doing what you are doing and what you said you were going to do. Watch for the first sign of her getting lazy and or not eating and do what you did last year if she does.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts