a horrible sad day....Rip Annie

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by Gumtree, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    I've had 1 awful day today, My Mum was out walking early this morning & came in an said to me "Shirrelle you have a very sick goat , and the rest of your goats were on the road,"(She chased them in")
    so I raced out to the paddock to check this goat Annie, she was down, Has a month old kid, I have know idea what was wrong with her,
    she had scours, could put no weight on one side of her body when I lifted her up,
    and was crying continuously, I gave her vam & b12 & vitamin c, but to no avail,
    she was in & out of unconsciousness and in a lot of pain so I got dad to shoot her,
    I did not know what else to do as I can't afford a vet....but I wish i knew what went wrong so quick...all i can think is snake bite, as it's spring here and there are lots around......and as well as this I've now got an orphaned weather kid to rear....

why why why.......I'm so upset & angry :veryangry: :cry:

2. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    I'm so sorry! I've had something similar happen. We found our little Narf collapsed in the barn. When they get really sick, they just get weak and have troubles like that. She scoured like crazy. She had got into the neighbor's yard and had poisoned herself somehow.

Could have been poisoning if they were out. She could have eaten something that was poisonous itself (lots of flowers are), or that may have had pesticides, fertilizers, etc. sprayed on it that were poisonous.

RIP Annie

3. melb1

melb1 New Member

Sep 28, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    I'm so sorry for your loss Shirelle. I hope all of your other goats are ok.

4. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am so so sorry to hear that. It is so hard to not know what happened. Did you see any marks on her at all for the snake bite?

:hug: I am so sorry.

RIP Annie. we know you in greener pastures and running and pain free.

6. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    would a venomous bite cause scours???
    i almost want to guess that its hypocalcemia

7. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Did she get in the road with the other goats? Is there anything a long the road or ditch you noticed might be toxic? (plants, trash) I have found oil bottles along our road. Maybe antifreeze?

:hug: I'm sorry you lost her. :pray: for the wee one.

Gina

8. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    What is hypocalcemia? and what is it caused by, and what symptoms ?

no she did not get on the road, it was the others that got out she was still in the paddock,
    the only other thing i can think of is lantana poisoning but I do not think that is what it was, as that is more a long term thing, this was SOOOO quick....

thanks for your support,

9. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Shirelle, I'm so so sorry :( I'm just about to send you an email.

10. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh no. I am so sorry Shirelle. :(

11. CapriGem

CapriGem Senior Member

May 12, 2010
    Western PA