A.I. Class

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by SkyesRanch, Dec 11, 2010.

1. SkyesRanch

SkyesRanch New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Stephenville, Texas
    YAYAYAYAYA! I'm leaving tonight in about an hour for my AI class in the morning! I can't wait!! Can you tell?? When I think of all the awesome bloodlines I will be able to bring to my herd of dwarfs, and future herd of Alpines and Mini-Alps. Twin Creeks Bay Watch, Goodwood Tom Thumb, Goodwood Weisbaden, Sugar Creek Show Tunes. Ahhh life is good in the goat world! :clap: :ROFL: :leap:

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I am excited for you!! I've always wanted to learn how to do AI and all the ins and outs of it. Sounds very interesting. It's a great way to improve your herd!

3. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

I want to do this sooooo bad!

Congrats!

4. GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal New Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I wish they offered AI classes around me. I'd love to learn how to do that! Lucky!!

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh .....you are so lucky.... :thumb: :hi5:

6. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Wow, you gotta share the details! I was talking to hubby the other day about AI! If we stay with our buck throughout next year, then we have to find a way to breed our youngest doe next summer since our buck is her sire. I don't think her leaving to spend time with a buck will go so well, I think she'd freak out being away from the herd and us. So I was wondering how hard it would be to do AI. During the spring and summer I saw a LOT of ads for the AI straws from really nice local farms, and I'd love to look into it more.

Is it possible to do on your own? I don't know anything about AI at all.

7. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX
    This is something I plan on learning next year. I wish they had a class here too. We use to do our own Horse collection and insemination. I would like to learn on the goats and do that as well. Take good notes and share if you can :)

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    let us know how it goes!

There was a class up here this year, and I had everything ready...until the doe I was going to take broke her jaw. :(
    maybe next year

9. SkyesRanch

SkyesRanch New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Stephenville, Texas
    I just got back! The guy did it for free, gave us lunch, and was an ecellent teacher. I A.I.ed several does! I can't wait to start A.I.ing Alpines and Nigerians... JSYK i'm going to offer A.I. services so if you are ever going to be down around here and you want to bring your does lemme know. That would have to be sync.ed with CIDRS but it would be fun! My teacher is going up to Canada soon to learn how to get the semen from bucks. No one down here would teach him.
    As far as A.I. goes the technique is actually quite east, it is the timing that is oh so critical. I am so excited!! :cool: :leap: :stars: :wahoo:

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is great....sounds like ...it was very enjoyable..... :thumb: :greengrin: