A.I.???

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Crissa, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    How exactly does it work and is it reliable? How do you keep it for long periods of time? Thanks in advance!

2. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    I don't know anything about it, but Barr Semen is a company that goes around the country doing this, and holding classes to teach people. I think they have a website.

3. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    I know that semen tanks vary in how often they have to be filled with nitrogen and on how many straws they hold. My folks got a used tank this year-an MVE brand. We recently got it filled and my folks have semen from two of their bucks in the tank. We have a video from when my folks first got into AIing with the LaManchas they had a long time ago. I watched it the other day and it is pretty informative. I know thouugh the way my brain forgets i'm going to have to watch it again before I actually AI a goat. Which, wont be 'till next year as I dont have any LaMancha semen in the tank yet. I know that it can be a tricky process. According to the video you want to AI the goat at the end of their cycle when they aren't in standing heat I believe. I think the more a person practices AIing the better they can get at it. Although i'm sure there are always times when the AIing wont take no matter how many times a person has AIed. I'm just hoping that when I try it I can see what i'm doing as my eye sight isn't the greatest 8) .

4. Bona Fide

Bona Fide New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Kentucky
    That's an awesome website -thx. I'm thinking of seeing who is around here locally and having an seminar done at the farm (or someone else's locally) b/c I know there's a few folks nearby who would come - I'd love to learn actually...(especially after Boss Man escaped A G A I N)....

5. Stacie

Stacie New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Hey Crissa!! AI is easy to learn. The Buck Bank website has a print out and a video. Most of your success will be in your timing. Don't thaw your semen until you know it is the right time and you can get in to the cervix more than one "pop", the doe's discharge is milkier in color and not clear and runny. It is best to observe the doe for a cycle--checking to see how long her heat lasts. As the breeding season lengthens the cycles seem to shorten. They are in heat longer in the beginning and shorter in the end. But this is general. Every doe is different. I have some that you better catch in 12 hrs and some that will go almost 48 hrs before they are to the end of their cycle. Don't be afraid to check her often. It also helps in the "practice" to get into the cervix. What kind of equipment are you going to use? I share a tank and with a friend who lives close. Any dairy cow farms close? Then you wouldn't have so much expense. I have semen that is 20 years old and it has been good. There is more than just good semen to be successful. Handling, preparation, technique and quality of the semen are all important.

Redneck Acres--it is mostly "feel" you just need to "see" the cervix after that it is all feel. I don't have great eyesight either. The cervix isn't hard to find. You can do it. Th biggest mistake in AI ing is getting your semen into the bladder and not the cervix. I don't know if I agree with this but I guess it happens. The opening to the bladder is just inside on the floor of the vaginal wall--the cervix is kinda in the middle at the end. It looks like a rosebud. When the doe is in heat it may be red and swollen. When you enter the doe, keep your speculum kinda tipped up to be less irritating and no chance of getting into the bladder. I really don't see how you could get the speculum into the urethra anyway. It is awful small.

Good luck to both of you. I would love to help with any hints I have used and I have only done this two years now but I have had a 90% take. The only thing is my computer time is extremely limited. You could try my home email but I can't check it often.

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

there are several different companies who store and sell semen for people all over. there are the semen sisters, the buck bank and superior semen works (my personal favorite) they market and usually have breife discriptions and pictures of buck on their website.

beth

7. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    fyi - Barr Semen comes to Kentucky.

8. Bona Fide

Bona Fide New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Kentucky
    I know they come to KY - they've got a seminar coming up soon, I think I'm going to go to...

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    If I remember right, I think the Semen Sisters sold out last year. I'll have to see.......

10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

really wow, they weren't in business long.

beth

11. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I'll check yahoo message archives but it seems like they went out last year.

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Yep, here's the message(I x out the emails):
    Hi Everyone,

We want to thank all of your for your support this past year with our
    business, Semen Sisters. We are completely sold out now.

Cheryl Nestor of Nestor Acres in Salineville, Ohio, bought 2 tanks of Alpine
    and Lamancha semen from us (most of which is Willow Run), so whenever you
    are looking for semen, please contact Cheryl. Her email address is
    _xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx_ (mailto:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) and her phone number is
    xxx-xxx-xxxx.

We had a great run! We feel that we've helped the goat industry by selling
    great semen at affordable prices. It was wonderful to meet so many nice people
    in our travels. We look forward to seeing you again at Nationals and
    Convention, only this time we'll be enjoying ourselves instead of working.

We hope that all of you get great babies from the semen you purchased from
    us!

Thank you!
    Marilyn & Linda ~ Semen Sisters

13. ksacres

ksacres New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    San Antonio Texas
    Does Barr Semen have a website? I couldn't find it...

14. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I think so, google Barr 5 Semen Service. I think they only have boer semen listed on their website though......