a kid doe has cough

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goatskeeper, Aug 22, 2010.

1. goatskeeper

goatskeeper New Member

May 14, 2010
    Algeria
    the last 2/3 weeks, some times i hear a kid doe cough , but very light cough , and not frequent.but today , the frequency of cough increased, tonight i hear a continuous cough.
    the cough is dry.

the temp is 104 degrees fahrenheit.
    she does not have appetite.
    she is very thin

should i use antibiotic?
    what antibiotic to use?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    First of all ...was the weather hot ...when you took her temp? was she in the direct sun? If not...... sounds like... it could be pneumonia....if it isn't from hot weather....yes ...start her on antibiotics..... .if you are unsure take her temp again when the weather cools down.......can you get Nuflor and banamine from a vet? Nuflor will fight infection ...as Banamine stimulates appetite and lowers her temp....

If not.........use PenG...
    to boost appetite...you can also use vit B complex...

What also comes to mind is...lungworms... but usually a temp doesn't come with it...

3. goatskeeper

goatskeeper New Member

May 14, 2010
    Algeria
    the weather was too hot, but she is never in direct sun light.
    iill waint until the weather cools down , ok
    about Nuflor and banamine i will ask the vet.
    vitB: is it dedicated to goats or can i get vitB for human ?
    thank you

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I suggest oxytetracycline 1cc per 20bs for 5 days. That will get rid of the pneumonia which is what it sounds like she has.

common drug names for oxytetracyline here are LA 200, Duramycin, and Biomycin

banamine dosage is 1cc per 100lb

yes you can use human b vitamines but the injectable Bcomplex works faster

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Nuflor... is a very good drug... for pneumonia... with oxytetracycline it has to be given.. for 5 days....Nuflor is given....every other day.... 2 to 3 times .....depending on how down they are...a 3rd shot is recommended.... if the goat was found ....very very sick ...really down not wanting to get up.......but... if caught early... I give it the 2x ...every other day.....2 and your done.... Banamine is... to get the temp down.... and helps appetite.... it shouldn't be given less then .....every 36 hours ........unless your vet suggests it.... usually 1 time... is all it takes...with the Banamine :wink:

Did you get a temp on her ....when the weather was cooler?
    Hope she is OK..... :hug:

6. goatskeeper

goatskeeper New Member

May 14, 2010
    Algeria

hello, :)

the vet gave me 4cc of oxytetracycline and told me to give it one time.

and i gave her about 1cc ivermectine .

i wait and see her health , i hope she get ride of the desease.

i had measured her temp after the weather cooled down, it was 39.6 degree celsuis, i think she is fine.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she will need more oxytet then just one shot.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree ...one dose is not enough..... :(

9. goatskeeper

goatskeeper New Member

May 14, 2010
    Algeria
    t knew this from your replies to my threads before, so when i was taking the injection from the vet i asked him that the goat will need more than one shot he answered no problem it will suffice.

by the way i had given the injection to my goat this morning , i am new in giving injections , after a period of time i noticed that the medicament flowed out, i don't know if some of the medicament stills in. the same thing about ivermectin.

so do you suggest to go to the vet again and get more antibiotic?i had read from this that the used antibiotic should be used every 48 hours.

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If you can get it, see if he'll sell you a bottle of the oxytet if not then try and get at least 2 syringes of 4 cc....the reason that both the ivermectin and the antibiotic came back out is that you didn't go deep enough into the subdermal area for the injections...I've had the same happen when giving CD/T vaccinations, I just try and get the needle a bit further into the pocket created by tenting the skin.

11. goatskeeper

goatskeeper New Member

May 14, 2010
    Algeria
    if you encounter the same problem, do you treat the goat every day for 5 days or every 48 hours for 5/6 days

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I've never used the Oxytet...LA200 is what the brand name is here, the dosing in the book I have says to give 1cc per 22 pounds every other day for 3 doses OR to give 1cc per 40 pounds once a day for 3 days.

The manner of dosing is up to you, giving 3 days in a row or every other day,

Are there any available internet stores that you have access to purchasing vet supplies at all, such as needles and syringes as well as the antibiotic? It can really help in times like this to have these things readily available to you, especially if the vet you deal with isn't co- operative or is adamant about doses.

I really hope your little doe feels better soon :hug:

13. goatskeeper

goatskeeper New Member

May 14, 2010
    Algeria
    at first , i had asked a vet and he was -as you said- adamant , so i changed to another vet that gave me the injections only. so i have to go to him again tomorrow and purchase a complete bottle of antibiotic - if he accepted.