The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do have a question I know very little about does. I've had wethers for thirteen years. I picked her up on Friday last week. She kidded in march. She was last milked last Thursday only about an oz. she was taken off of grain right before I got heart( beautiful little doe I might add) I tried milking her and she wouldn't drop her milk. I want to dry her up. I'm not sure if I should continue trying to milk her. She isn't bursting or in any discomfort that I can tell. She has only been with me a few days. Can it be stress from the move and new surroundings. She has excellent milk stand manners . Any advice ??

·
Registered
35 Posts
I do believe that I read somewhere that stress effects milk production. Also if there are heat changes, that can effect milk as well. I am still quite new, so don't quote me on that. Good luck with your doe!

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Do you want the milk? If you don't I would just leave her be and just check her udder to make sure she isn't tight... She might be drying off naturally...If you do want the milk I would continue to try to milk her, and give her grain, alfalfa pellets, some beet pulp maybe and try that... Stress can have an affect on milk production... My kinder is still giving 18 oz or so every night, and she gave birth in April, I got her on June 2nd...

·
Super Moderator
59,235 Posts
Since you said that you want her to dry up, then don't worry about milking her. I would just keep an eye on her udder and make sure she dries up ok.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts