The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned this on another thread, but thought it deserved it's on post.
This doe is 10 years old and is due to kid soon for her 9th freshening.
She looks like a million bucks. I have a couple of 8 year olds that have kidded this year too.
Putting this on the Goat Management forum because I have to feel like we are doing something right.

20200808_154440.jpg

20200808_154423.jpg

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice doe, great udder. You sure want those genetics to continue! Best wishes for a successful kidding! When is she due?
We don't know her exact due date. We had a number of does that didn't settle this year when we did our initial breeding, so we ran a buck with the entire group to run clean up. Soon though.

She had the first place udder in the aged doe class at the 2018 ADGA National Show in Columbus OH. :inlove:

·
Registered
30,562 Posts
Beautiful lady. Congratulations

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
She looks great! I hope mine can hold up so well. When she's not pregnant, is she wide from all the prior pregnancies? My older does (7.5 yrs) are super wide and look preggo even when not.
I have a little yearling who has a very fat, active rumen, and everyone that comes over ask if she is pregnant I always laugh and say nope! Just fat! I swear, she eats grass for about 30 minutes and her belly looks ready to POP!!!
I know this has nothing to do with your questions it just reminded me of jenny

·
Registered
476 Posts
Beautiful doe.

I hope my goats look as stunning as that at that age.

And after posting that pics you most post tips on how you keep your girls stunning

·
Registered
208 Posts
I mentioned this on another thread, but thought it deserved it's on post.
This doe is 10 years old and is due to kid soon for her 9th freshening.
She looks like a million bucks. I have a couple of 8 year olds that have kidded this year too.
Putting this on the Goat Management forum because I have to feel like we are doing something right.

She looks great!! Can I ask what her bloodlines are..? She has a really great udder!! Something I am trying to improve upon in my herd. : )

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wonderful! What's your secret?
Honestly, I think a big part is that we started our herd with good stock.
We always feed the best hay available and keep it available all the time. As far as fiber we supplement the hay with alfalfa pellets and shredded beet pulp.
Clean water. If the buckets are dirty we empty them and get clean.
Sweetlix Meatmaker minerals and a local 18% Goat feed.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I mentioned that I think we started with good stock.

If you look at Zamia's pedigree there is a doe on both sides named Woodhaven Farm Cowgirl (and her son Tsuga)

If you look up Cowgirl on Adga Genetics and look up her progeny you will see she freshened 16 times. Many years, she freshened twice. Obviously, she was a very hard working doe.

I have another doe Rosmarinus that Tsuga is her sire.

I also have a buck Madisons Meadow Rocky Road whose sire is Woodhaven Farms Cowboy Cadilak who is Cowgirls twin (litter mate) and Tsuga is his dam's sire so he is a close line breeding.

I have used that genetic line extensively in my herd.

Cowgirl

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thanks for the pedigree info. I have a doe that's got a 'Little Tots Estate' relative way back on her sire's side. It's so interesting (to me) to research the different lines and breeding programs. Hoping some of the knowledge is sinking in so I can (try to) make good breeding decisions and improve the quality of our herd. So thankful for the internet and everyone's willingness to share. I continue to learn so much. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts