The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago, I noticed that my 6 month old LaMancha/Nubian doeling's udder was large on the left side. At first I though she was just hitting puberty and getting some udder development, but last night I tried milking her to see if there was anything in there. There was. :/

She seems to be lactating on only one side of her udder. The milk was white and looked super normal, but as far as I know she hasn't been bred. In fact, I haven't even seen her come in heat. She shares a fence line with my boys, but I've never seen her or her two buddies go over by the fence. I'll get some pics of her pooch (just in case) and her udder tonight and post them.

If it's a false pregnancy, will this effect her future chances of fertility? She's so young that I really don't want to milk her. Should I just leave the milk alone and hope it reabsorbes? :confused:

On a happy note, she took after her LaMancha mom and has nice large orifices, and looks like she'll be a dream to milk later on. :)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh good, thank you!! Since she's only filling on one side, will her udder be lopsided when she actually freshens?

·
2,203 Posts
Agreed. Should be normal. Being you expressed fluid, I would go ahead and "dry her up" using treatments. This will prevent bacteria from entering her now open orifices.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, good. I'm really excited about this girl's potential as a milker, and didn't want her udder to be messed up. What treatment would I use to dry her up? Will it be ok if I don't use them? Thanks!

·
2,203 Posts
Ok, good. I'm really excited about this girl's potential as a milker, and didn't want her udder to be messed up. What treatment would I use to dry her up? Will it be ok if I don't use them? Thanks!
ToMorrow works or Spectramast Dry Cow. It should be ok anyway but I would rather prevent than treat because she came down with mastitis.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts