A little rant

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by RunAround, Nov 10, 2008.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Sorry but I am just annoyed right now. I bought a buck about a year ago when I only had three does and two of which weren't related to him. Now about half my herd is related to him because I have kept a lot of his kids. So I want to sell him. Since his former owner had first refusal on him I offered him to her at a very very discounted price. She said no and that she was very disappointed in me for selling him! What on earth is wrong?!?! :shrug: Geeze, just a little pissed here. I feel like she is trying to guilt me into not selling him.

Now I know I can do line breeding, but with this buck I wouldn't. He's not that good.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    take a deep breath .........don't let her make you feel guilty or bad about your decision......if the buck isn't good or you have to many of the same lines ..........then it is time to change them ...we all do it all the time....and I bet you...... that the former owner of that buck .........does the same thing.........just ignore her...and smile ........you are doing the right thing.
    hope you can sell him soon and replace him with an even better buck..... :) good luck

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well first off i wouldnt sweat it, sounds like she just has way to much pride in her animals and doesnt want to think of it the right way which is: you kept does out of him which should be a honor!

Now I would also save every email and print them out so she cant ever say that you didnt give her first right of refusal.

Now go and sell him for what he is worth to someone who will also appreciate him

4. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    They are right. You should not try to feel guilty, because in the long run your doing what is best for you and your herd. She sold him in the first place, if she thinks its such a crime that hes being sold, then she should 'look in the mirror' as one might say.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She really has no right to guilt you ....if she's that upset about it, why didn't she buy him back? Anyhow, he's yours, bought and paid for, he served you well, and now it's time to have new blood in your herd....I hope he goes where he will continue to serve his purpose...looks like he's done well by you and your girls...handsome fellow too.

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I agree completely - you did what was asked (offering him to her first) - but really - she sold him first so what is the difference if you are selling him now???

You stood by your word, and that is all that matters - why keep a pasture pet just to make someone else happy - I know I don't!

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thanks. I just had to tell someone about it because I felt like I was somehow wrong.

And like you said Kelebek, there is no point in keeping a pet buck. He also wont be happy seeing everyone else get the girls.

I am going to try and find him a good home. I think he is great and he always throws beautiful kids.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if you sell him his genetics move on and they are spread out further -- should be considered a good thing :scratch:

But yes the others are so right: she should look the mirror

9. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Well you need to do what you need to do. Its not her place or her opinion that matters. I think if you have a lot of his relatives in your herd then its time he work in someone else's herd. If she passed on taking him back then she must not think too highly of him especially if you gave her a discount. There are bucks I've sold that I would take back in a heartbeat. But not ones I don't think would work in my herd anymore.