A little worried.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Crissa, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Lyrae has become INCREDIBLY aggressive towards Lyric. I mean butting, biting, chasing, everything! I'm afraid that she's going wind up butting her in the stomach soon and make her lose the baby. I try to correct her but I can't always be there. It's gotten to the point that Lyric has started JUMPING or breaking through the fence into the boys pen. (and she HATES being with the boys) I don't know what to do with her. :help:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hmm thats very strange. Did you recently put them all together again or have they been with each other for a while?

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Lyrae has the mastitis right? Maybe this could be affecting her?

4. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    They've been together for a while. She's never gotten along with Lyric, but just recently she's been just trying to KILL her it seems. And yes Lyrae has the mastitis. I was thinking it might be affecting her, but this is the only thing that has really become different about her. :shrug: I would move Lyric, but I can't unless I put her in with the boys. And then Chase just well, chases her. My poor girlie. :(

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    put Lyrae with the boys?

6. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I would but I'm afraid that Orion will wind up breeding her. (I don't think she's bred) I wish I knew why she got this aggressive all of a sudden. But if she doesn't stop it I may wind up selling her. (sorry, but Lyric stays)

7. Haviris

Haviris Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Is it just your three does together? I've found that three is often a crowd, two buddy up and the third one gets picked on or left out, it just always seems even numbers work best. Don't know if that helps, but it's a thought!

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Could it be that sinse you moved them to a smaller pen then what they were used to she is getting cranky because she doesnt hav the room to run like she did before? Maybe she is feeling there isnt enough space.
    beth

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    everyone has a good point .... :wink:

as you are concerned ...I am to ... the doe is preggo ...that is being beat on.... like you said you may be forced to sell the aggressor....it is a tough call... :hug: :(

10. Bona Fide

Bona Fide New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Kentucky
    My girls get cranky this time of year - right before kidding, some get overly sweet some don't want to be touched by me or other goats - and even looking in their direction results in being hassled (the goats that is, I don't get hassled...yet LOL). So...it comes the time to separate them - which I hate to do too early b/c it's too cold to do anything but put them in their kidding stalls which are 10 x 10s and I'd imagine the view gets old after awhile.

The dry does get overly .... ADHD (LOL) - IDK if it's hormones releasing in the air or weather changing or what - but they're off the wall - up the wall - kicking, annoying each other, jumping, bucking, biting - being plain ol' rowdy to each other and us - chalk it up to them feeling good, but they tend to wear thin on each other.

Setting up extra hay locations and water locations tends to take some of our issues away and then separating the pregnant does usually gets shed of the rest of the issues ... here anyway. They tend to go back to "normal" once the girls close to delivering are separated - but that could be b/c the dry does left play together so it's all fun then....

If your doe is uncomfortable - there's the chance she's going to take it out on those around her - she may get worse until she feels better herself ---

Hope I didn't ramble too much and Good luck!

11. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I wish I had the extra money to buy one of those dog kennels for outside. That way I could just put one or the other in there. (and for kidding purposes) Do you think this would work if I could find a used one somewhere?

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You have just Lyrae and Lyric together, right? The kennel may work because they won't be totally isolated from each other, can still see each other but nobody gets hurt. I know it sounds awful but if you can't separate the 2of them, you may need to tether Lyrae insidethe common pen, this way Lyric can "get away" and Lyrae isn't going to have much room to hurt her.

13. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Well I've still got Heidi right now as well. Lyrae doesn't seem to care about those two at all. She seems to prefer me. :roll: I don't want to tether her in there either because she won't be able to either get to the water or to the shelter. I'll get a picture so that you can see.

The pen the girls are in now is the one on the right and boys on the left. (these were taken when I was getting them bred)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then this is in the girls pen now.
    [​IMG]

14. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    Could you possibly make a small enclosure with cattle panels? I think they are about 15-20 dollars here and and they are 16 feet long, they woud make a great kidding pen for you too. 8x8 or get two. I've made a make shift gate by cutting a "door" and then using zip ties for hinges before. Just a thought. If she is beating up on her now, she will probably pretty nasty to her kids too.

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It just might work..... :thumbup:

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    neato - might be a good option for kidding too! :thumb:

17. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Lolli Pop is being the same way! Lately she's been a big butt head to Libby, and was butting her in the stomach really hard, I went in there, slapped her upside the head, and told her to be nice, but she follows me and wants scratches :roll:

18. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    She's getting better about it, but definitely still picking on her. So I think I'm going to buy that cage. It sounds like a good deal.

19. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I'm so MAD at her right now! She got Lyric on the right side of her stomach today! :veryangry: I felt Lyric's stomach and bumped and I could still feel the baby moving around down there so I think she'll be alright. But I'm getting sick of this! Her udder is so much better now so I don't think that's it. Could she actually be jealous that Lyric's pregnant? She's starting to pick on Heidi too. My dad and I are trying to find a larger dog kennel for outside that we can put out there and put her in before she kills them. I just wish I knew what her problem was. :(