A lump on top of the withers?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lawanda, May 27, 2010.

1. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    My little Jilly has a large lump on top of her neck, nearly right on top of her withers.

What could this be?? I am so upset, thinking cancer, and whatnot. I do tend to worry since I have had such bad luck with my other goaties :(

Should I try to get a pic? It is not really noticeable by looking, mostly you can just feel it, it is under her skin, doesn't seem like a wound or anything like that. Just like the lump I had in my breast that they thought was cancer :cry (it wasn't cancer luckily)

Help?

I am calling the vet in the morning.

2. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    It may just be a sticker or even an insect bite that got infected. It may be nothing more than that. I have a Nigerian with a strange lump/knot but I don't think its CL or cancer. Just keep an eye on it to see what it does.

3. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I noticed one of our does has one and sounds like it's in the same place. Our other doe has a tiny one in the same spot. I am unfamiliar with giving shots, etc. since I haven't done this yet, so is this an area where they get shots, and could this be associated with that? Just a longshot but thought I'd ask anyway..

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Tick bites will leave a hard knot, since I started using a permethrin/citronella spray on my goats I haven't noticed any new knots.

5. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    We don't give shots there. But Becky (4hmama) said the same thing about a bite, tick, or possibly a wound or something. I sure hope I am over reacting. I would rather over react than find out later I should have asked about something that WAS important, though! Ya know?

Thx for your reassuring responses guys!

6. Goober

Goober New Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Is it attached to the skin, loose under the skin, or attached to the underlying tissues?