a morbid subject

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Graffogefarms, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms Active Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    Just wondering- lot to do here, but in the us - when a farm animal dies - how do you dispose of it - does it vary by state, town,e tc I know when the cat or dog dies you bring to the vet and pay the fee. here we bring to a knackers yard, or a larger animal he comes to you - and you pay the fee.

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I send all of my expired livestock to the mushers. this year so far we had to put down our 750 lb sow, he came with a pickup and we lowered the carcass into the truck with a bobcat.

3. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Here we can take them to the local landfill and they dispose of them-I think bury them, or take them to the dump to the next town over-which is where all of our garbage goes.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I burry it in the back yard - I live in the woods.

5. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

When we lived in ID my cousin would come with the bobcat, dig a little hole and there we had it.
    I don't know how SD does it though.

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I take mine out to the very back area of our land and let nature take its course.

7. Graffogefarms

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    are you allowed to though - I'm thinking that IF we did move back - and I got some goats - what would happen in that event. Here there is soo many regulations your not technicially allowed to bury them on your own land anymore. Especially since F&M, and Mad cow, etc.

8. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska
    We bury anything that dies on our land. If it were quite large like Katrina said - here in Alaska there are many mushers willing to take carcasses for dog food.

9. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    It depends entirely on where you live. States, counties and cities have their own regulations. In the town nearby, you aren't even supposed to bury your cat in the flower bed. I wonder how many times a week that law gets broken?? I live in the country. We bury them here on our place. The county has no facilities for livestock disposal. Once in a while we get lucky and can donate an older animal whose time is short to an Out of Africa wildlife park that's nearby. They humanely dispatch them and feed them to their lions. They pick up, but only accept non-medicated and essentially healthy animals. They get lots of horses whose teeth have gone bad, or aging milk cows with bad quarters, that kind of thing.

10. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    vet disposes of them

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My critters are buried here...they're pets, not livestock.

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    technically you arent suppose to -- but there is no one who enforces it here in NJ. We have never paid to have anyone dispose of our animals for us. We bury chickens, rabbits, dogs, cats, goats etc all on our land and we know our neighbors have done so as well.

if you live in a development I am sure it would be harder to get away with

13. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I had the vet do it- It was January!

14. Graffogefarms

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    ok - usually the knackers yard don't charge for the babies but can range from 10-30 euros for the older ones.- (have to bring one tomorrow - never happened before - but I accidentally ran one over, left the car in the yard with the trailer yesterday - it was running for a couple minutes before i moved it - but - damn didn't see the black kid. We had been leaving cars outside the yard because we were afraid of this - but just never expected it.

15. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I dont know if there are any rules in my county but since we are in the country we just bury them in the back of the feild. Now if we have a cow die them we call someone to come pick it up if its over 500 lbs.

16. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    We bury them on the land, but as far away from the other livestock as possible so as not to attract predators -- I've had foxes dig up chickens that were a good 3 feet down.

So far we haven't had to bury anything bigger than a kid, tho. And actually the kid we did bury just outside the fence so he could be closer to his mama.

17. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Any critter that dies here gets burned up or composted...depends on what it is and why it died.

18. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Five years ago we had to have a horse put down due to a twisted bowel (severe colic). We hired a man to come out the next morning with a bulldozer. He dug a big hole, pushed her in, and covered her back up with dirt. I'm not sure about the laws around here, but that is what our vet told us to do (and he provided the man's phone number). My goats will never know that twice a day they rush in to eat over the grave of a horse. :laugh:

19. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    We just take ours to the backside of our pasture. We have tried to bury them but the wildlife just digs them up anyways and we are on a large enough piece of land just outside of town that no one cares.

20. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    When I lived in CA, Los Angeles, you had to have the animal picked up and taken to the rendring plant..no matter the size. A small animal done at the vets would be taken care of by the vet, disposal charge was included in the euth. A large animal, such as a horse, you called a guy and he would charge you to haul the carcass away.

In WA where I live now, mountain/forest area, the ranchers either bury or haul out to the back 40 and let nature take it's course. One rancher has a specific spot where all his dead cows are dumped. If any of my animals, smalll or large, has to be disposed of I would bury them. Now when we get ready to butcher, if you have the butcher guy come do the deed, he will saughter the animal and take everything with him to the butcher. I have no idea what they do with the bones and such. If we do it all, then the parts we don't use will be buried, maybe bones given to the dogs. When the local hunters kill a deer, they take the unused parts back out to the forest for the local wild life to take care of.

You would have to check with the local authorities where you live to find out what is allowed in that area.