A new baby....maybe....

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by justthemomforthejob, Jan 25, 2009.

1. justthemomforthejob

justthemomforthejob New Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Got an e-mail from the gentleman who we got Zipper from......seems that the doe I almost bought from him :roll: (darn it!) had a kid overnight. He says it looks just like the lovely buckling that was Zipper's brother! I am ALMOST really excited. My sister really loved the coloring on the buckling so I felt like I had to give her first "dibs". She has since also gotten an Alpine that she really, really likes though so she may not want another ND. If not, I am definately going to get her! :leap:

How long should we leave her on the doe before taking her home to bottle-raise??

Christina

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Well that is cool! :D

I would make sure the baby gets the colostrum, so at least two days, maybe three. Then see if you can get the current owner to get the baby on the bottle. If you can, I'd also get some of mom's milk to transition slowly to whatever you have.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    yah!! I leave my bottle babies on the dam for minimum 2 days, then pull for bottle babies.

4. justthemomforthejob

Jan 22, 2009
    :shrug: Not sure what happened....I got an e-mail saying that the baby died. Guess we wait until another doeling comes along........

5. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I'm sorry. :( Maybe the next one. :hug:

6. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Sorry to hear the doeling you were going to get died. :(

7. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Im so sorry :grouphug: .

8. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
  9. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    So sorry. Any idea what happened?

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH NO. I am sorry.

Do you think that really happened or did they decided to keep it or sell it to someone else for more money?

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :hug: Awww. I'm so sorry

12. justthemomforthejob

Jan 22, 2009
    I really believed him.....he doesn't impress me as the type to lie.

No worry.....my sister decided she really liked her Alpine and Pygmy goats so she gave me Zipporah's sister from the same kidding. Is that how you say it?! Anyway - Esther is black with a tiny bit of white all around. I am glad that Zippy has a buddy now....just wish they'd get used to the milk replacer and their stool would firm up. EWwwwwwwwwwww!

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well I am so glad she has a buddy now. Try mixing the replacer differnetly -- sometimes the mixture is to concentrated or sometimes it isnt concentrated enough.

What brand of replacer are you using? YOu can add a little pepto to their bottle to help firm up their stools. How old are they now? Have you had them checked for cocci?

14. justthemomforthejob

Jan 22, 2009
    Thanks for the tips......I've tried the replacer less concentrated...more concentrated....with Pepto...without Pepto. The fecals came back clean but the vet tried Flagyl, which I don't get since it is NOT Giardia....been there, done that with puppies AND people. I can spot that one a mile away!

Now, we are on Albon. I couldn't get the goat vet to give us any so I got it from my dog vet!! Where there's a will......

Anyway - Zipporah and Esther are doing well otherwise. They sure are fun together but I noticed that when they play in a group of three or more, they have WAY more fun. Looks like I may get another one soon!

Now if God will just bring us another human baby to adopt - I would totally be decked out for babies!!

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you certainly have a heart.

Well I hope they clear up for you, sounds like you are trying every avenue

16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am sorry for your loss..... :(