A NEW KID IN FARM NEEDS HELP

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by carmen escamilla, Jul 29, 2010.

1. carmen escamilla

carmen escamilla New Member

Jul 23, 2010
    texas
    HI I AM NEW TO THE GOAT SPOT IM GLAD TO JOIN IN CAUSE I LEARN SO MUCH FROM ALL THE INFO U PPL CAN GIVE ME BUT I HAVE ONE QUESTION THAT I HAVE NOT SEEN HERE OR MAYBE I MISS IT BUT I WOULD LIKE TO ASK I HAVE ONE NEW BILLY THAT PURCHASE FROM A LIVE STOCK AUCTION HE LOOKS LIKE HE IS 3 MONTHS OLD AND HE KEEPS TO HIM SELVE ALL THE TIME STANDS BY THE WALL AND WONT COME OUT DOES THIS MEAN HE IS SICK OR JUST DOESNT NOT LIKE TO BE HERE OR COUNDT BE HE IS SHY I DONT KNOW PLEASE HELP ME I WOULD LIKE TO HELP HIM THAT POOR BABY,,,I HAVE HAD HIM FOR 4 DAYS NOW, KEEP IN MIND HE DOES EAT AND DRINK WELL ..

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    awe poor thing - he is probably missing his mom.

I would check his temp though - a goats normal temp is 101-103 if its higher or lower then that he needs help asap.

What is he eating? hay or grain? How much do you know?

Do you have other goats? is he penned with them or near them?

3. glenolam

glenolam New Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Canterbury, CT
    Welcome! Is he wethered or intact? If he's intact - do you have him by himself so he doesn't try to breed anyone?

Does he play with you or anyone? Has he been treated for coccidia? Keep in mind that kids who have coccidia will still eat and drink as the parasites feed off him, which would make him hungry still.

4. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Well, all I can say is he might be lonely. Most of my animals I have gotten have been in a group, so they normally already have buddies. I just got one recently by herself, she took off REALLY well with the herd, though. She's 6months, maybe age takes factor.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome to... The goat spot...glad you are here... :wave:

After 4 days and not eating or drinking concerns me.... taking his temp would be good to do.... to rule out shipping fever..(pneumonia)... I would give him his 1st CD&T vaccine... then again 21 to 28 days later.... if you don't know his history...

Due to the stress...of the move and being weaned from mom... it may trigger worms and or cocci....I recommend getting a fecal done on him....so you know how to treat....if he needs treatment... Also... if he is alone and cannot see other goats.... he may get even more depressed......
    Check his gums and eye color.... for color... if they are white....pink to dark pink.....

When you say ...starring at the wall... is he looking at it all day? How are his eyes? anything unusual?

6. carmen escamilla

Jul 23, 2010
    texas
    thanks for all the respond he does eat grain and hay and drinks water he lives alone in a pin since my heard has a full grown billy with them i didnt want to put him in their and get hurt i have not given any shots to him due to i dont know his history that if he had already been deworm or given his shots he does move from the wall since i put his food in the other side of the wall so he can come out from their and he will then he will go rite back i have two billy just about his age from another nanny and to day i put them in the pin with him and no deal he look at them smell them and walk rit to the wall i dont know what to do with him let me ask u this if any one know this question if i give him his shots again will it hurt him his eyes look good and no temp..at lease i dont think so but i will check asap. the pin where the other billy r they r two pins down and he can here them and he will respond when the yell maybe they r talking to each other i dont know at lease that is what i think please help he is such a good billy i hate too lose him ...

7. carmen escamilla

Jul 23, 2010
    texas
    i have another question to give him this shot how much dosage do i give him he is probley 3 months old i am sorry to ask these dum things but i really dont know how much to give i dont want to give him too much or to little and how old do a kid has to be to get this i have 3 other kids that were born with then the last 2 months as well and can he be near them is these contages what he may have this concii i dont know what that is please help...

8. glenolam

glenolam New Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Canterbury, CT
    A couple of things I picked up...

Do you have bucks (intact) and does penned up together? Or are the bucks separated from the wethers and does? Just curious because a 3 month old buck can breed a doe - so if they're living together that means you run the risk of having babies in 5 months.

Since you don't know his vaccination/treatment history, it's safe to assume he doesn't have one - especially if he came from an auction. Giving him shots and treating for coccidia is OK to do.

You should treat him and all your kids for coccidia - a popular kind is DiMethox and can be ordered on-line. Some people buy 12.5% and some people buy 40%. I use 12.5% and give 1ml / 5lbs on day 1, then 1ml / 10lbs day 2 - 5. Then, I repeat that dose two more times, 2 weeks after the last dose. If you have a kid born on your farm, the usual ages to treat are at 3 weeks, 6 weeks and 9 weeks old.

Coccidia is contageous as it's passed from one goat to another when they poop. Read this link to learn more about coccidia.

Do you have a goat vet in your area? You could scoop up some of their poop and have a fecal test done to see what worms and parasites, if any, your goats have.

They all should get CD&T shots as well, if you haven't done that. They all should get 2ml injected subq (under the skin).

If he's the same age as other bucks on your farm, you should put him in with them so he learns to socialize with them. Keeping him by himself is probably making him more lonely, which is why he's talking to your other goats.

Keep asking questions, we're here to help!

9. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Well at least he is talking to the others. He sounds very lonely.

I gave mine 1/2 to 1 cc of their worm medication, It goes by weight though, so you need disclose what medicine you plan on giving to your goat, someone here might be able to answer you. Also see if the meds have instructions.

10. glenolam

glenolam New Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Canterbury, CT
    Chances are if the medicine has instructions it says nothing about what to give goats. Most vaccinations/wormers are "off label" for goats, and goat usually require a much higher dosage than what is labeled for sheep, pigs, cows, etc.

11. goinggoaty

goinggoaty New Member

May 19, 2010
    Edgewood, New Mexico
    Well when i first brought my nubian doe home her being my first goat I didn't realize how lonely she'd be, she'd eat and drink small amounts but mostly she just hid in the goat house all by herself quiet and miserable looking. Within 2 days I knew something had to be done so I went and got a little ND wether and the minute she heard him she was up and screaming as Nubians do. She was a goat again and although it was instantanious with her your little guy probably just wants a friend in with him. I'm not clear on whether he's intact or not but if he is or isn't if you have a wether or a nice buck you could pair him with he might come around given some time to adjust to his new family. Hope everything works out good luck

12. carmen escamilla

Jul 23, 2010
    texas
    thanks everyone for the advice today i gave my goat the billy the was sick or sad his shot for cocidii and gae him so mineral oil as well and he was move with the other little bucks he is a buck and he got to go vist with them hopey that what he had was not contages any way he did do alot of walking around not running or playing like the others but he moved he ate alot too like he was getting more at eased with them their is a doelie in their as well in awhile he will go back to his pen due that moms will come back to feed their babies they r out in the pasters for the day so i figure let me take him to visit and see if he can feel better i am happy with the results its not all their yet where i can say he is 100 percent better but i would say he is 50 percent and that is lot better then what he was his little friend the bucklies also got their shots so they were all in line lol but they did good i think i was more afraid then them..any ways my next question is when do i give them a second dose and is the any other shots i have to give them i gave them the cdt i think that what is call i will keep u up to the updates thanks so much for all ur help u r true friends that care...

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The 2nd CD/T shot is 2cc as well, and give it in 21 days.

Sad new goaties are heartbreaking to watch as they get used to their new home, being with your other goats will help him and you spending time with him will help too...best thing though is to be sure he is eating and drinking, he will get used to being with you in no time. Be watchful of him too around your little doe babies, he may try and breed them....will you keep him a buck or will you wether him?

14. carmen escamilla

Jul 23, 2010
    texas
    thanks liz for all ur help yes he will stay as a billy i have 4 billys one is 5 years old that bread my older girls the next too are twins and they r 6 weeks old one of them i botlle feed his mom does not have enough milk for both of them keep in mine they r all boars goats and then is him mr fire balls he is our fourth one my 3 month old one of the billys is going to be sold as an intact as soon as i can wean him from his mom he didnt come out with his red head he has a white head i wanted all my goats with red heads well any way today we whent out back to the barn to feed and my sick baby ate like a storm he was so hungry i try to limited his feed so he would not get over feed but he look at me like r u going to feed me more he drinks good too he cried when i took him out of the pen that he was in with the other goats poor baby..he ate alfa pellets goat feed and a little black sunflower seeds i left some hay in their for him trew out the night, we as in me and hubby study him tonight and to tell u the truth he looks like he will turn out to be the best on of all foru billys as far body structure he is wide shoulder and wide rear which is what we look in as a boar so now this we be my special projuect to get him well and get him to be the best one in the herd it is so weired the one that is sick turns out to be the best of all 4 well i will keep u girls up dated on him trew out the next few days to let u all know how he is doing hope to post pic.of him real soon thanks to again to all my goat friends u ladies have been so help ful to me..

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what shot did you give for coccidia? never heard of a shot for treatment.

16. carmen escamilla

Jul 23, 2010
    texas
    CD/T SHOT 2 CC UNDER THE SKIN IT WORK PRETTY GOOD AFTER 30 MIN U COULD SEE THE DIFFERNCE ON HIM HE LOOKS LOTS BETTER I HEARD IT HELP WITH DEPRESSION AS WELL DUE TO MOVEING TO A NEW FARM AND LEAVEING HIS MOM I HOPE 2 MARROW WILL BE A BETTER DAY FOR HIM....

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    CD/T is a vaccine for enterotoxemia and tetanus - I have never heard of it helping with depression before. Im sure he was just happy for the attention and interaction instead of being alone

You need a different med for coccidia treatment. Something like Dimethox or Sulmet, Albon, Corid etc. ;)

18. carmen escamilla

Jul 23, 2010
    texas
    OK NOW IM CONFUSSED I THOUGHT THE COCCIDA WAS THE INJECTION CALL CD/T SO WHAT IS CD/T FOR CAN SOME ONE HELP ME UNDERSTAND THIS ..

19. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    CD/T is for "overeating disease " and Tetanus protection, coccidia is a "bug" that can infect kids in a very bad way if numbers get too high in their system, Di-Methox is a prevention as well as a treatment.