A new use for hay feeder

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by nancy d, Aug 28, 2009.

1. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    The does & 6 1/2 mo old buck share a field fence. This is not smart.
    This morning the normally very quiet Mystify was complaining quite loudly that she wants to be in there with him.
    After enduring the sound of a non-stop dual of her & the buck head butting the gate I noticed that the hinges were all cattywompus.
    Straightend out the gate & spent a good half hour moving a 7' hay rack full of does trying to finish brunch.
    I shoved it lengthwise up against the gate & finally have some relative peace & quiet.

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Did it work??? Or did somebody want in the buck pen bad enough that they used it as a way to get in there?

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am having issues keeping the girls and boys seperated right now ---- thank goodness we have EVERY intention of building a new buck pen this weekend!!!!

I actually had to put the girls ACROSS the DRIVEWAY - cause I wasn't sure if it was the boys trying to get to the girls or the girls to the boys - or the horses to someone - LOL!

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    So far it has worked, you see, she was head buttung through the gate cause she wanted in with the boys, rather the little man!
    The sound of heads ramming the metal gate and its heavy chain rattling was enough to take action!
    So I put the feeder up against it as a buffer zone. Then a sheet of plywood. Then the boys feeder against the same gate on their side.

Today I played musical goats, trying to move the boys to the other side of the house.
    Trouble is, there's a couple of young does in there. Got the wethers all in there but Mr buck has to stay where he is till dh comes home to help. It has an awful gate that might as well be a squeeze chute only they squeeze past me to get out!! :horse: