A Nigerian Dwarf that was due "any day now" 5 weeks ago.

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by jenfrank, Aug 24, 2009.

1. jenfrank

jenfrank New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    I have a beautiful Nigerian Dwarf, Carmella, that I bought about 5 weeks ago. I was told by the owner that she was "due any day now." She appeared to be quite pregnant, with both sides bulging. Carmella is 2 and has kidded once before, with twins. Her owner told me that she looked like she was going to have twins again. Her udders appeared to be filling up, but were only about the size of a human fist. They are still this size. A few days after we got her, she seemed to slim down quite a bit, but within a few days she had plumped back up. She bleated a lot when we first got her, but that was likely because she went from being part of a herd to being an only goat. We figured she would have the kids to keep her company soon. She has always been very friendly. And this has not really changed. I have noticed though, for the past 3-4 days she has started getting feisty, in a playful sort of way. When she sees me head to her shed with feed she comes bolting at me, one time completely leaping over the 4 steps leading to the ground from our front porch (Yes, she was on our front porch--she's an only goat), and right before she gets to me, she starts jumping and bucking and "ramming" the air. She seems very excited to see the feed, and not at all mad. I don't know if she is getting broody, since she has started running after the cat, or if she's just getting territorial. But as far along as she either should be or appears to be, I wouldn't think that it would be possible for her to run as fast as she runs or jumps as far as she jumps!

I would really appreciate anyone's feedback on what is going on with this sweet, beautiful, but currently a bit crazy little goat!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would contact the breeder and tell her she didnt kid and that you need a companion for her. Sounds like she might be in heat

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome to the Goat spot. :wave:

I would totally agree with Stacey. She is in heat.

4. jenfrank

jenfrank New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    So, even though she's pot-bellied and looks like she's about to bust, she's really just in heat? I've tried feeling her underbelly, but she'll have no part of it, and I've tried to raise her tail to look at her "pooch", but she doesn't want me to do that either. She's never had this issue before. Is this just because she's in heat? I'm trying to get some pictures of her to upload, but the pixel size or whatever, is too big. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

5. jenfrank

jenfrank New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    The picture in the previous post is from the day we got her. I will try to get another one of her now.

Attached Files:

6. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    She does look like she's bred. Is it possible she has a later due date? I would do as Stacey said and contact the breeder, but I'd ask about all possible times she could kid and if there's no way she's pregnant now, then I'd see about a wether or something as a companion for her. I do have a doe who looked like she was carrying triplets, bigger than your doe, but it turned out she was fat. Not pregnant. She recently went in heat.

7. jenfrank

jenfrank New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    I'm sorry I keep re-posting on my own post, but I'm new to posting too. Plus I have black-eyed peas blanching on the stove and have to keep running back and forth. Some other information that I thought might be helpful is that when I bought Carmella the owner said that she didn't know exactly when she had been impregnated, or how far along she was. Also, yesterday I saw her licking her teats. I'm so confused, I just don't know what to think!! :shrug:

8. helmstead

helmstead New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Alfordsville, IN
    Do I see a little udder in that one pic? That would be the answer to your question - if she has an udder, she's due :wink: you just don't know when.

I have several does that look wide like that when they're open, too..just little fatties.

9. jenfrank

jenfrank New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    She does have a little udder. The owner I bought her from said that she had gotten it a little while back, and that she wouldn't have had that if she weren't pregnant. But she has kidded before...several months ago. Her kids were almost as big as she was, and had been weened and Carmella's milk had dried up. She's still not letting me get a pic of her rump, bless her heart! She won't even let me stand behind her! LOL :GAAH:

10. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Well, she can have an udder and not be pregnant. That would be called a precocious udder. I'm leaning towards that. She could just be fat from looseing her ligaments in her tummy. I had a doe like that.

11. jenfrank

jenfrank New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    ok, so if she's NOT pregnant, will her underbelly feel different from the underbelly of a pregnant goat? I'll try to check if anyone can tell me what I''m feeling for! ;-) But right now I'm not sure if she'll let me. She's not letting me touch her belly or her tail right now. Does going into heat make a goat sore? She's not around any other goats, so she's not sore from being bred. Also, does the "pooch" look the same in does that are pregnant and does that are just in heat? Can anyone tell me what exactly I'm looking for in a "pooch" test to tell me if she's pregnant or not?

12. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    She looks wide, but I have seen does that look like that and are not pregnant. I also have seen does that nurse off their own udder! And you said you saw her licking her teats...maybe she hasn't dried from her last kidding which was only 3? months ago and is nursing off herself. Personally...I would watch her closely and see if this is what's going on. You can even see if you can milk her easily. When they are seperated from their kids and are not being milked for awhile it will be a little hard at first to get milk out, but if she is nursing off herself then the milk should just slide out easily when you pull down.

If her udder hasn't changed and she weaned her kids 1 or 2 or ?? month(s) ago..I would assume she's not due for another 2 to 3 months and wouldn't have an udder that size that early.

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    The most accurate way of telling if she is pregnant or not is to draw blood or get an ultrasound.

14. jenfrank

jenfrank New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Thanks for all of the info guys! It's a big help, even if it's not what I'm wanting to hear... :-( It's been about a year since she kidded before. Her milk had completely dried up from that kidding. But she developed this udder a little bit before I bought her. And her licking her teat is a new behavior. I went outside a little while ago just to watch her, and I couldn't find her. She had crawled behind our grill to lay down, which was odd because she usually lounges on the porch. Then (ok, please don't think I'm weird) I watched her pee, smell the ground, poop, then get this weird look like a laughing donkey, with her top lip curled up. I got a few more pics, but I don't know if they will help anything..

Attached Files:

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    LOL....all goats will curl their lip, really funny to see too. Her udder would really be alot bigger if she was due soon, her pulling on her teats , well, some does will do it on occasion and others with "self suck" I did have a doe that did the latter, not a good thing at all when her babies needed the milk. If she is preggy, she could be just a week or 2 away from delivery, but since you've had her for 5 weeks, unless she was with the buck continuously she is likely not preggy.

Her sniffing her pee is a hormonal thing, my does do it to each other.

16. jenfrank

jenfrank New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Yea, she was kept with billies. The owner tried to keep the billies separate, but just in the hour or so I was at her house, the billies jumped over their stall doors (which were pretty high) and climbed through a thicket of woods and through a small hole in the fence. And these were not small billies!! AND in the speed they did it, it wasn't their first rodeo!! :)

17. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well the only way to know for sure is do a blood test and send it in. Allison does it all the time. She will tell you how if you would like to do that.

Just so you know. I have a doe that is a lot wider then your doe. Everyone always asks when her babies are due. Funny thing is she was just bred August 2nd. We were asked this in July.

18. jenfrank

jenfrank New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    well, I think I'm officially micromanaging my poor doe now!! I've just spent the last 30 minutes or so following her around, trying to see if I can tell anything by looking at her backside, and while I was watching her she ate constantly, she ate feed, then hay, licked her mineral lick, ate some more feed, more hay, more mineral lick, over and over, then she went outside and ate every leaf she could reach, some grass, then went back in her shed and ate some more feed and hay. Is this from her being in heat?? I've never seen her eat this much at one time before.

19. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    LOL.....She's either bored or she knows you are watching her every move!

Well since the bucks were at a constant escape, she very likely could have been bred later than her previous owners thought, the fact that she is building an udder AND the bucks had access, going by the size of that udder she could still have a month to go.

20. jenfrank

jenfrank New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    WOW! There is just really no telling what is going on with that poor goat. I have noticed that she is getting bigger, and is having a harder time getting up and down, BUT she is also running pretty fast too... especially if she thinks I'm going to get to the porch before her. She dashes across the yard, up the steps and into her "spot" where she lays on the porch. She also stood up on her hind legs, as straight up as I stand, reaching the highest leaves she could reach. I don't know about goats, but MY balance was never very good when I was pregnant!! :slapfloor: