A Note to all

Discussion in 'TGS Announcements & Help' started by StaceyRosado, Feb 25, 2010.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Well Howdy to all of you. I hope you are enjoying the forum today and everyday you login. :greengrin:

Some things I want to point out for the enjoyment of all is that we have had a large influx of new members :leap: isn’t that cool. :D be sure to welcome them and make them feel at home because this place is for all of you. Also I hope now that all the changes are made you like the slightly new layout and that it is working well for you. As always feel free to ask questions if you are unsure of something or if you think there is something missing that could be beneficial. If I can accomplish it and it fits into our workings here I will try to do just that. :hi5:

I want to apologize to you all for being kind of out of it and quick replying lately. I just have SO MUCH on my plate right now with both my jobs and family stuff. I am rather stressed to use that common term. My poor room. As I write this my bed is unmade from this morning, my suitcase is still not fully unpacked from my visit to Ashley last week and I have 2 baskets of clean clothes to fold. That’s just one item on my radar and I could go on for an hour about my life but I am sure you could as well. I’m nothing special just an average girl.

As is inevitable with such a large group and verity of goat raising techniques and goals we have differing viewpoints and things that work well for us. Let us remember this as we post so as to not offend others. You all seem to be doing well with this lately but it bears reminding. :thumb:

Along with the above we have a wide range of reasons for owning goats. I want to address this specifically because I see a slight shift in the tone of the forum that is disheartening to me. I think it’s awesome that so many people LOVE the Nigerian dwarf breed and are joining the ranks as they say. But with this comes a tendency to focus on lines and elite goats. Lets all remember that the forum is for sharing ideas and helping others as well as just enjoying the funny anecdotal stories about our days in goatdom. There is nothing wrong with being excited about your new herd sire or a purchase you made that is an improvement on your herd or to promote your goats for sale. But in that remember that there are others on here who may not be able to afford such “luxuries” or even have access to such goats. Making others feel inferior is never anyone’s goal I am sure but this easily happens when we put focus on this area of breeding and goat raising. I know even as an individual who raises this wonderful breed that I can feel like I just should throw in the towel since I don’t have what it takes to “measure up” when I hear about this line or that line and this show win or the milking stars on this goat etc. These are all ok, in moderation.

The idea and the motto that has been adopted from my signature line “Keep it friendly Keep it fun” should be on the forefront whenever posting and interacting on the board.

You all make this a great place to want to talk goats. It isn’t a chastisement or a reprimand, just a gentle nudge to encourage you to see things maybe a different way then you have been or to put a smile on your face and know that you are appreciated and your goats do mean something no matter if they are AGS/ ADGA registered, elite, 2* or a mutt (said with the fondest of fondness my favorite all time goat was a “mutt”). Each one means something and is an important part of our lives and therefore a part of this particular forum in their own right.

Here’s to goats and there impact on our lives :cheers:

KEEP IT FRIENDLY AND FUN

Stacey
    Owner/Administrator

CaramelKittey and Noma’s Kids like this.
  2. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    This is beautiful and very well said. I will try to continue to think openly...if I wander, just let me know! :wink:
    And thank you for the great advice on my 2weeks after kidding momma goat... she is doing much better and starting to "clean up" now. I'm very grateful to have had a place to go to ease my worries!
    Thanks again,

3. Native87

Native87 New Member

I don't post much because I am too busy playing catch up on the information that is already here. I want to say one thing. Thanks to everyone on here. The knowledge here is priceless. I am not totally new with goats but I can say this, everytime I come in here I feel as if I leave a little bit more knowledgeable. I have all kinds of books etc. but you just can't beat the live interaction that one can get here. I have seen some amazing things in a short amount of time. People that don't even know each other gladly giving their phone numbers and their time to help another owner with problems or just plain great emotional support. Now were else can you find that level of dedication on the internet? Thank You All. Keep Up The Great Work. :)

Noma’s Kids likes this.
  4. magilacudy

magilacudy Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Ontario
    Stacey I think you have done a fantastic job on this web forum. I have belonged to many forums for all of my animals and can say I have left everyone of them due to forum members being prejudice of others not having "the best" of breed or show. I dont find that here. I find it very welcoming and truly enjoy my visits here. As said above me I learn something new every day. I dont have friends or family that raise what I do, so I'm really on my own when it comes to questions and ideas. This site is wonderful and covers it all.
    I would like to thank those that are so kind and helpful, please continue what you are doing. I look forward to being a permanent member and sharing more with you all.

5. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Nicely worded Stacey!

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah ;)...thought I noticed this place explode with new users / goat lovers.

I promise to post more...Alaska is just too nice right now to be inside.. :D and Fur Rondy and Iditarod are coming up *dances* and kid pictures to see how Pandora and Taboo are doing :)

7. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

Stacey -

I love this forum and have learned a lot here! And I certainly don't want to contradict you in any way...but, is there perhaps a section better suited for discussing new additions even those who boast prestigious lines? I ask this because I know of a few users on here who have recently obtained a very nice goat or two at no small cost and they worked very hard for those. They may have had to sell 2-3 animals for that one, saved for months to a year, and many other sacrifices. So, the new addition and the prospect of improving their herds with new lines comes at no small cost. I would assume it would be very rewarding for them to get to take a deep breathe and say "finally, this animal is here." And want to share the new addition as well as why they've added it (lines, cost, etc included) with this great community. Perhaps amongst our stories and information there is a place where we can feel free to share our excitement with one another without discouraging or accidentally making someone feel inferior.

I most definitely agree that "mutts" or even those purebreds who didn't cost someone a pretty penny are wonderful animals! A pedigree doesn't make a loving animal, of course. But for those who work hard, spend their last little bit of money, travel all over and do their homework then a nice animal added to their herd or a big deal show win is much deserved. I hope we can find a place where the fruits of all that hard work can be shared here. I'm sure you know showing (and winning, none the less) as well as obtaining good lines and building a nice herd are no easy tasks!

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is a great site... :) I love all of our members... new and old...plus all our team....... oops don't forget the goaties...it is the goat spot...HeHe :D :thumb: :grouphug:

Noma’s Kids likes this.
  9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I think we all are here because we "need" to talk goat! It really helps too that we all have a place to ask questions or even read up on posts pertaining to a particular situation. And I for one like talking about my kids, it's nice to do so without seeing someone rolling their eyes or looking bored which I encounter way too much sometimes. :greengrin:

I love seeing pics of everyones goats as well as hearing/reading about them....I have favorites but it is really neat to see the object of everones affection, regardless of peds, breed or achievments. :hug:

Pennylullabelle brought up a very good point about those who have "special" goaties...I think it may be something to think about because I know that if I ever had the opportunity to get my dream nigi doe, I would want to share my excitement.

Each and every member that is here is the reason why we can have such a wonderful forum that is full of so much info! Thank you all for doing your part in keeping TGS a Friendly and Fun place to be. :hug:

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    just a highlight on what I said on this subject - I believe it answers that question

11. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Just another idea -- no matter what kind of goat we have or want, we're all here b/c we love our goaties! And those of us who have worked hard to achieve grand champions or top scores in linear appraisal want to share our excitement. How about noting in the forum to check out our website or our blog or our FB page is we REALLY want brag?

Just a thought. My main reason in coming to this forum is for info. In my ara, there are few large animal vets and htose are mostly equine practices, so I rely on my local friends and now you guys for help and opinions.

I have many more opinions, but I have to take the puppy out!

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    while I understand you are trying to accomidate your "need" it isnt that you CAN'T on here. The need is there, I want you to feel comfortable having your bragging moment as well. Again all in moderation. If you feel that this is to confining then I dont know how else to accomidate the "need" :scratch:

I am not looking for ways to create a bragging corner -- its not going to happen. The forum is big enough to accomidate this and still be informational and all inclusive. :thumbup:

nice idea -- I love my blog and I have a FB fan page for my farm too so lots of outlets for me currently for my goat obcession :oops: :wink:

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Great Idea Denise! :thumb:

14. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Well said Stacey! I have learned so much on here as a newbie goat owner. I also love seeing everyone else's goats too...but thanks for the reminders-truly good things to remember!

15. CrazyAcre

CrazyAcre New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Hi ,
    as a newbie on here offically, but I have been lurking for almost a year.

I think the point that Stacy is trying to make is its ok to brag in Moderation !!

I know that I have felt the same as her or others when some people on the forum have aquired this goat or that goat from great bloodlines or even a milking machine.
    It does make you feel like giving up.. Some people just have more money than others, and sometimes that makes you feel like why am I doing this, I can't afford those things!
    I think that I have aquired some great goats and nice bloodlines, but I have fought tooth and nail for them, I'm not rich and I have to work hard, and have done payments or sold some that I didn't want to, to get were I'm at.
    My next big investment is a milking machine as I plan to have 14 does in milk this spring and I don't think my hands can handle it, but I also want to sell the milk to help keep things going and I hope to fix the barn that floods everytime it rains, I think the horses are going to turn into ducks after what we have gotten in the last few days. Thankfully the goats are in the dry area!

So brag in moderation, we all want to do it! Just hopefully for us poor folks, it not every week... :pray:

And I know what you mean when people roll there eyes when you start talking goats :roll:

16. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Right to the point Barb! :thumb:

And yes, the turkeys are actually the ones turning into ducks at my place! They have a coop, but too dumb to stay in it. :roll: Maybe the rain will stop someday???? Or is that wishful thinking??

17. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I absolutely love this place. This is the ONLY forum I regularly post on. Why? Because its 100% full of FRIENDLY, helpful people!

You don't really see the nonsense and rudeness that goes on on every other forum. It's the best!

I really love seeing everyone's new goats, whether they be champions with a mile long list of champions in their pedigree, or someone's new addition they picked up at the auction. They are ALL goats, and all worthy of being loved!

I oogle happily at both prize-winning udders, and too at the kids of cross-breeds. Both are equally fun to look at and read about. I wouldn't want it any other way.

What makes us different is that we all appreciate and admire each other's goats, either way. I've not seen any excessive bragging and I've never seen anyone thought less of because their goats might be cross bred.

And that's what makes us so great. The reminder from Stacy is wonderful, and I think we'll continue to be the best forum out there. :thumb:

Goat town likes this.
  18. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Wow...what wonderful responses! I whole heartedly agree with everything that has been posted. I'm right there with you Epona...I :shocked: :drool: over those perfect udders and :love: any and all babies...and I am totally with those members who have busted their butts to get to where they are now as well as continue to bust their butts keeping and maintaining what we have. I love each and every member of my herd, and I have expectations for each too.....unconditional love :love: Babies bring on the milk that I use for butter, yogurt, ice cream and soap...all things that I don't buy and my goats reap the rewards by getting my attention as well as me saving $ for their neccesities :wink:

19. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    I personally enjoy reading about everyone's new additions and new kids, regardless of breed, pedigree, etc. I simply don't see any reason for people to feel disheartened after seeing someone else's new & expensive goat. An expensive goat does not necessarily mean it will do any better in the show ring or milk pail. It may increase the odds of such success, but it's also a great financial risk, so I tend to find myself admiring the purchase and hoping that the potential turns into reality for these folks :) I think the point has also been made before that there are plenty of people out there with very small and largely unknown herds who have wonderful goats with great conformation/great health, etc. So I personally don't gauge a breeder's success by the lines they carry or the price they pay for their goats. I also want to say that I really haven't picked up on anyone bragging . . . just people being excited.

And I have also been on some other forums and did not care for the tone. I think the point of this topic is just to remind us all to keep things friendly and to make sure we continue to make everyone feel included and not intimidated to share their goats :)

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hence back to the original post made by me :wink:

Lets remember this is a letter specifically from ME to YOU and not a moderating issue.