A question about Anna's milk production

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by keren, Jan 12, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    So Anna has settled in and come to understand that it is NOT nice to put her foot in the bucket of milk or dance around when I am attached to her teats

I really like her big teats for milking, you are right they are easy, and I have found that my hands dont get at all sore milking her (I used to get sore hands/arms milking the angoras and boers).

I've been having trouble getting her onto feed properly. The first few days she would eat the pellets no problem, plus some lucerne chaff and a heap of cereal hay. Then the last few days she didnt want anything to do with her pellets, wouldnt eat while I was milking (that was fun), only ate some lucerne chaff and a bit of cereal hay. Now tonight she wanted the pellets and lucerne chaff. This goat is a rollercoaster! And her milk production sort of went with it too.

I've had, daily: 5.3 lbs, 5.3 lbs, 5.7 lbs, 5.1 lbs, 5.1 lbs, 4.9 lbs.

So my question being, is this a normal fluctuation that I shouldnt worry about, or should I be concerned? Would this be explained by the irregular eating, or should I be investigating something else? And any ideas to get her eating regularly?

Cheers!

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    If she isn't eating that would account for the slight drop in her production. How long ago did you get her? I've noticed that when we get new does that probably a week after we get them they don't eat as well as when they came, I figure maybe the stress of moving has finally caught up with them. You can give her a shot of B complex and see if that helps.

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Aha! You are spot on - its been about a week since I got her and she ate like a horse to start with, now really doesnt want much of anything.

It was a 6 and a half hour drive so yes, I'd imagine pretty stressful (though not as bad as the 12 hrs to get the next two).

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    She may have been in heat so she didnt watn to eat that day. I had a doe before and one doe now who doesnt eat well or grain at all when in heat