The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 3 month old doeling that I've had since she was 6 weeks.
Ever since I got her, I've noticed that when she plays on hard surfaces she seems to rock back on the heels of her front feet, and that the inside toes always seem a little rocked back. When she was little, I figured that she would grow out of it because we had a foal who did the same and he grew out of it by the time he was a weanling.
It doesn't seem to bother her one bit, she's a very vigorous and hardy girl, but it bothers the daylights out of me. I've tried trimming down the toes to encourage standing on them, but I'm not really an expert on hoof trimming.
None of my other goats have this, we are not in a selenium deficient area, I have two of her half siblings and am very familiar with her parents, both of which have normal hooves, although the Sire's are a little crooked.

I guess my questions are, will she ever grow out of it? And is it possibly selenium deficiency? How can I trim to help her?

I will try to post pics from my phone for you guys as soon as I figure it out.

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I trim them and no difference. She did have a bit of excess heel the first time I trimmed but not since then.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
**bump**

I'll also add that she's fed one cup of BOSS a day, free choice minerals, free choice horse quality hay, and pasture, if that helps any.

·
2,203 Posts
I'm kinda puzzled as well, you can see the beautiful straight growth rings. Only thing I could suggest is just keep trimming with the rings.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She's just a puzzling girl, I guess. Maybe she is just really flexible? It bothers me that I can't seem to fix it for her but if she isn't in any pain I can live with weird looking feet. She's such a sweet girl I would just hate for her to be hurting from it, although she seems completely sound. I'll see if anyone else has more suggestions and I'll keep that in mind. Thank you :)

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Do you give BOSE supplement at all? That looks similar to one of my doelings that was born this year, who looked like my doe Poit, who the story goes that she had "Deficiencies" when she was a baby. I gave my doeling BOSE and she straightened right out. Is your doe's front legs set slightly back? Can you get us a side shot?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't live in a selenium deficient area, so I haven't ever used BOSE for fear of toxicity. I've thought about it but I know that the range of margin is very narrow and I would feel awful if I hurt her from overdosing.
As far as I can tell, she is set normally, but I may not be seeing things right. Also, in two of those pictures my sister had a hold of her head and she also is very unbalanced on the stand. I'll try to get a side shot of her today for you guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts