The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it always work? I have a 10-week-old doeling that I found in the bucks' pen about 3 weeks ago. They had managed to tear a hole in their fence, and she squeezed through it. They didn't seem interested in her, but after I got her out she smelled like buck, so I know she did come into contact with the boys. I don't know how long she had been in there because I wasn't home. Anyway, I ordered lute, and it just came today. I plan to give it to her tomorrow. Can I be 100% certain she won't be pregnant after she has the lute, or does it sometimes fail? I'm still undecided about whether I want to keep her or sell her, and I would hate for the new owners to end up with a pregnant 7 month old doe on their hands. :(

·
1,524 Posts
I can't imagine a 7 or 10 week old doe being in heat or having a mature enough reproductive tract to even begin to cycle or become pregnant in the first place. I sure wouldn't give hormones to one that young just on a guess. You could really mess up her up.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I agree with lottsagoats. I would not use lute on a 10-week old doeling.

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
I would wait till 30 days and then send in a blood sample to BioTracking if you are worried. You can still lute then. I agree with the others, a 10 week old shouldn't be cycling. I would hate to lute a 12 week old.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I did the math wrong on her age when I posted this originally. She's 4 months now and was about 3-1/2 months when she got in with the bucks. I know that's still pretty young to be cycling, but I just don't want to take any chances with her. I'll probably just go ahead and send a blood sample in on her to set my mind at ease. I mainly just wanted to know if I could count on the lute to work.

·
2,203 Posts
I haven't ever had a problem with lutalyse for abortions. If there are, it almost always was because the dose was too small. Make sure you have the proper dosage to do the job properly and done the first time.

·
Premier Colorado Nigerian Dwarf Breeder
1,092 Posts
and the right size needle on tight.
I gave some to induce labor and the needle wasn't on tight enough with it being so thick. It popped off and squirted in my face. Had a freak out moment thinking some got into my eyes until I realized .... I'm too old ..... bahaha

·
2,203 Posts
and the right size needle on tight.
I gave some to induce labor and the needle wasn't on tight enough with it being so thick. It popped off and squirted in my face. Had a freak out moment thinking some got into my eyes until I realized .... I'm too old ..... bahaha
LOL too funny! But this is a real scare as well for many young women.

·
1,524 Posts
Another thing with using Lute is you have to give it after the egg(s) have implanted or it won't work. Too many people rush into giving the shot and 5 months later end up with a live birth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts