A Question About Size

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by lilaalil, Apr 16, 2018 at 1:17 AM.

1. lilaalil

lilaalil Member

Sep 5, 2014
    I've always assumed that if you breed a full-size goat (Nubian, Saanen, etc) to a half-size goat (Nigerian) you will end up with a 3/4 size goat (about halfway between a Nigerian, and a full-size).

Is this always true? Does size always average out? Or will you sometimes get a really big, full-size goat from this breeding, or a really small one? Or, if that goat does end up being 3/4 size, will it still have the genetic potential to throw extra large, or extra small kids?

To put it another way, I am considering buying a buckling. His mother is an extremely large Nubian/ Toggenburg/ Saanen mix. His dad is 3/4 Nigerian, 1/4 Nubian. Pretty small, but not as small as a standard Nigerian. I want this buckling because he has good milking genetics behind him, he is naturally polled, and I want to use him to breed my full-size doelings when they are yearlings. I prefer to use a smaller buck at least the first time, to avoid super-large babies and potential kidding problems. My question is, could this buckling grow up to be as huge as his mother? And even if he is a more moderate size, does he have the potential to throw huge kids, like his mother?

I hope that makes sense... Thank you!

2. TooManyBoers

TooManyBoers Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2017
    UK
    I would say that it’s a question of luck. Look at people... some have a tall parent and a short parent and often end up one extreme or the other. Like me—tall Mum, short Dad, and I’m tiny! XD I think your best bet will be, look how old the buckling is now and how much he weighs. Compare it to what yours weigh (ideally) at the same age. And then go from there.

That being said, surely a young buck that is small but will end up huge will still throw huge kids?

lilaalil likes this.

3. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
    It's pretty random. You'll get a variety of sizes.

lilaalil likes this.
  4. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    I bred for F1 mini Lamanchas. They did seem to be mid-sized. Although I haven't seen them as adults. Everyone told me the same thing about there being no guarantees. I'm looking forward to comparing last year's F1s to this year's.

lilaalil likes this.
  5. Dayna

Dayna Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Keaau Hawaii
    lilalil, I'm keeping my eye out for a smaller buck. It would be nice to use one that is totally unrelated to either of our herds. I'm still not convinced that Pike is the cause of the intersex issue but I'm keeping a critical eye on all the does he's bred and are coming up due for sure.

lilaalil likes this.
  6. lilaalil

lilaalil Member

Sep 5, 2014
    I think Pike himself is totally fine. If there is a problem (besides just being a totally random, unlucky thing) the only possible problem would be breeding Pike to polled does. And if that is the case, he is still extremely valuable, in my opinion, as a buck to breed horned does.

But yes, that buckling I was thinking of is closely related to your herd, and part of mine, so probably not the best choice, even if he hadn't sold already