A Question about tethering...sort of!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Itchysmom, May 29, 2010.

1. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Ok, I have read and thot about tethering out at least one goat so the others will stay close by. I find that this idea is more trouble than it is worth! I even thot about tying one goat to a heavy tire! Not such a great idea.

This is my canumdrum.......I will have 40 acres, 20 or so of that will be fenced off for the horses. At this point my fence line will have hot tape on the top, solar powered. My horses will respect this and technically that is all they will need to keep them on the property. I was thinking that I should run another tape about half way down the post, also hot. Down low enough on the post so it is goat hieght. Will this keep the goats in the fenced off pasture? There will be plenty for them to eat and they will be brought in to thier pen at nite.

If you have any other suggestions, I am open here! I do not have alot of money to spend on elaberate fencing and the money I do have to spend is going into thier pen fencing. I do realize that they will have to get "shocked" at least once to respect the tape, just like my horses. Once shocked, will they stay away from it? It is white tape and very visible.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes... using the tape will work.... :wink:

with some goats... it takes a couple of times of "Ouch" to get it through their heads to stay away from it.....now... if the hotline stops working and they touch it....off they go..... I would watch them though.... so they don't get hung up.....

3. chelsboers

chelsboers Senior Member

Mar 24, 2010
    SE Kansas
    What kind of fencing do you have? I don't know what kind of goats you have, but if you just have the one strand in the middle won't the goats just go under it? If you have a bigger breed of goat I would suggest another strand between the middle one and the ground.

4. Molly&Monica

Molly&Monica New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Loma, CO
    My girls totally respect the hot wire and they won't damage it like the field fences and gates they use as climbing walls! :p However, they don't mind testing it as often as they dare and if it is off, they will not hesitate to go through it. For whatever reason...(maybe it's a goat homing thing I don't know about) they never really go too far. Usually the chicken pen for corn-teehe!

5. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    I don't know how tall the posts will be, maybe 5 feet? So, one strand will be at the 5 ft level and the next one at about 2-3 foot level. Right now I will have one Sanaan, her buckling and another of mix breed, the same size as the doe. I just want them to stick around and not go to the road, which is around 500 feet away from the lowest part of the pasture. I have no neighbors for them to bug, but there is some traffic on the road. I live in a free range part of the country so cows are on the road from time to time. People will watch out for them, but you still have those few that bomb down the road no matter what. There is a cattle guard across the road...will they go over that?

6. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    I don't tether and mine free range. I only have 8 acres and it isn't fenced, but the does do not wander off. They have their shelter that they come back to several times a day. I have found that males will wander further, but I tend not to keep males very long. They get on my nerves. I did pen the goats pretty close for a couple of months after they first came. After that I let them out. (Just the 3 I bought. The young ones stick close to the group or hang out around the shelter.)

7. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I've only got 3+ acres here, but my ladies don't wander far. I don't mind if they browse down in the huckleberries in the woods, but the road makes me nervous. We'll be fencing in the front of the property this summer. Also, if I walk outside and yell "LADIES!" they come running. They think they're getting snacks. lol

8. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Thank you all! I plan on keeping them in the pen for at least a week, if not more. I want them to get used to me and think of me as the neat person who brings them food!

9. DPW

DPW New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Crow, Oregon.
    I sure would love it if our goats didn't wander. We have a pretty good sized piece of property and during different times of the year the goats wander over every part of it. Always looking for something better to eat I think.
    It's like the herd will be browsing or grazing depending where they are and one goat will start to wander a ways off eating as she goes. Then another goat will notice her and I gues she thinks "I wonder if she's found something better to eat over there." So she wanders off in that direction. Then a third starts off then a fourth. Pretty soon there's forty plus goats walking at a brisk pace trying to be the first one to get to the better spot. Sometimes they'll travel a couple of hundred yards at almost a trot before they stop to eat again.
    Our goats know about electric fence and respect it for the most part. Just remember that it is a psychological barrier not a physical one. If pushed they'll go through it. Either by coyotes, neighborhood dogs, or if the urge to eat what's on the other side is great enough. Even if they have plenty to eat on their side of the fence. Since we began raising goats I've found that the saying about the grass is always greener to be very true.
    Although we have plenty of property we are sorely lacking in cash to use for all the fencing we'd like. For us the priority is keeping them off the road.

10. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    With ours we have five strands of electrical wire, just like we use with our horses, but only three of the strands are hot. If your electric charger will only support the two lines, you could use the cheap silver electric wire as "grounds" in between the hot wires. Makes the hot wires pack a nicer punch, too! Ours is hot, ground, hot, ground, hot with the lowest at 9 inches and the highest around 4 feet. Nobody has escaped yet, but the boers are pretty mild. One escaped from my horse round pen by going under the panels when we first got them, then stood outside crying to get back in. :laugh:

11. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    P7: What doe mean by grounds? Is the wire somehow atached to the hot tape? I gues I am brain dead this morning as I can't picture what you are saying! Got a picture?