The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A doe had been in labor for 5+ hours w/o passing the kid. I got a phone call and went over to find her barely able to stand, bloated, and in serious distress.

I got two legs out but the kid wasnt coming out. I reached in but the birth canal was so full I couldnt feel anything else. I thought I had twins that were jammed together. I pulled so hard I thought I was going to irreparably harm the doe. I tried feeling for another leg, a head, anything. I tried to keep one kids leg out and push the other back in. Those darn kids just wouldnt come out. I suspected they were dead so I wasnt very gentle.

We were losing the mom and I thought we would have to put her down. I called the landowner and had him bring his pistol. The doe was in agony. I said, "One more pull with all Ive got. If it doesnt work, we need to put her down." I pulled and I saw a head! It was ONE GIANT BABY. It was dead so I laid it aside and went back to the mom to feel inside. No more kids from what I could tell.

Suddenly the baby moved!! It was alive! The mom couldnt stand and was nearly out of it. Poor girl We put them together and she started cooing to the babe. The kid responded so we put him/her near the teat and let them be.

In 5 years of raising goats (10+ births/year), this is the first time I had to assist a birth. I have been very fortunate so far.

Prayers for a recovery are much appreciated. How should I tend to the mom tomorrow? Should I give her antibiotics because I was in her for so long? Any other suggestions?

P.s. thats the biggest baby Ive ever seen, by far. It looks part polar bear! All my other Kiko's have average or small kids. Crazy.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Wow, how stressful for you! I'm glad they both made it, though! I'll let the pros tell you what to do for her, but for immediate boost you could give her some molasses in her water, maybe, or just straight?

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,072 Posts
Oh my, prayers sent your way! I would give momma B complex for stress, warm mollasses water for sure, and probably deworm her soon as the stress can cause a wormload, especially with a rough time like that.

Time to treat yourself to a glass of wine!

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I would please give Mom molasses water and all she wants. She needs that sugar and energy for all that poor thing went through. I would also give her banamine for the pain and yes antibiotics, also B Complex.

If she is not eating well I would give her some warmed Oatmeal with some molasses on it.

I want to say GREAT JOB :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: for not giving up on them. Because of you they are both alive.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
You were the Hero today! Congrats! Did you weigh the kid? Prayers for the doe and that poor, beat up kid! I always treat a doe to the warm molasses water and my best alfalfa hay. I would give her banamine for pain, and I would give her b-complex or thiamine. A little Bo-Se would be good (if she hasn't had it before birth), some for the kid too. I like to give them some fruit...raisins, apple, etc.

Please invite the owner to join us here on TGS. We really should get pics of this giant kid. :eek:

·
Registered
29,973 Posts
wow..congrats and congrats!!! great job...al good advice on how to care for mom...I would also look for signs of prengancy toxema/keptosis...sounds like baby was large enough to really have taken it from mom..
here is a clip from tennesseemeatgoats on both

Best wishes

Pregnancy Toxemia can occur within the last six weeks of pregnancy and is caused either by underfeeding (starvation toxemia equals an energy shortage) or overfeeding. A doe's nutritional balance is critical during this timeframe. Feeding too much grain or feeding the wrong kinds of grain is usually the culprit. During these last weeks of pregnancy, a doe has little room in her body for lots of grain, fast-growing fetuses, and the amount of roughage (grass hay) vital for proper rumen function. A goat goes off-feed when it doesn't get enough roughage. Huge stores of body fat plus a uterus full of fetuses set the stage for Pregnancy Toxemia. Symptoms of Pregnancy Toxemia include off-feed, dull eyes, slow moving, general weakness, tremors, teeth grinding, stargazing, leg swelling, and coma. When fetuses die, toxemia results from the decaying bodies inside the doe and she also dies. All of this happens because of improper feeding by the producer.

When Pregnancy Toxemia occurs, a dramatic change in feed will not solve the problem. Instead, divide her grain into three or four small meals each day. Make sure that she eats a lot of top-quality grass hay. Leave fresh, clean water out free choice. Also offer some warm water laced with molasses or apple juice to encourage water consumption. The doe needs to drink a lot of water to flush toxins from her kidneys. An occasional handful of alfalfa hay may prove helpful. Proplylene glycol dosed at 60 cc orally twice a day can be used, but this product is hard on her kidneys and goats usually don't like it. An alternative to propylene glycol is a combination of 50% dextrose diluted with an equal amount of water and given orally at a rate of 60 cc twice per day. Molasses and water or Karo syrup and water can also be used. Get both Vitamin B12 and Fortified Vitamin B Complex into her, and orally drench her with GoatAde (www.goatsupplies.com). Feed the doe as many green leaves as she will eat; in off-growing season, pick dried leaves and offer them to her free choice. Oral administration of CMPK or MFO is desirable. Niacin at a rate of 1000 mg per day is helpful. Daily dosing with Goat Guard Probiotic Paste is advisable (www.goatsupplies.com). Moderate exercise is essential; do not allow the doe to be inactive.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
How is mom and baby doing? Can you post pictures? We would love to see them.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Wow! You are impressive! I agree with Di, you should definitely be labeled "HERO OF THE DAY"! I would love to see pics of that monster kid if you can get any!

·
1,524 Posts
If it wer eme, I'd give her a round of antibiotics also. Kid stucj that long, things dry out, rip and such. I'd be afraid of an infections. I agree with the B complex. If she is swollen, i would treat her with Preparation H and some Banamine. Some molasses or sugary something to help give her an energy boost.

·
Registered
29,973 Posts
Yep I'm gonna say it as well cos it was only mentioned once, DEFINITELY antibiotics
wow you are right lol...we didnt mention antibiotics at all....I ditto the need for Pen G....five days at least ...:eek:

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
OK, We need a update on this situation. I am going crazy.

wow you are right lol...we didnt mention antibiotics at all....I ditto the need for Pen G....five days at least ...:eek:

I did and hardly ever give them, but I sure do in a situation like this.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey everyone. The mom has made it through fine but she never took to the kid. She seemed very apathetic and did not stick around him at all. She wandered off and never came back. We found him the next day, hungry and cold and unable to stand up. I got some warm milk replacer in him and he gobbled it down but he still couldnt stand. His right front leg was totally loose and unmoving. I think it dislocated @ the shoulder when I pulled him out. I took him home and bottle fed him but he never fully recovered. He died last night :(

Can I give regular penicillin to the mom? I have a bottle in the fridge for my pigs. If so, any rec'd on dosage? Can it be drenched or must it be injected? Thanks all. Sorry I dont have better news for you but considering the situation Im just glad at least the momma survived.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocky-Ridge-Farm/265587983495559?ref=hl This says 1ml/25lbs, for at least 5 days. Sub Q.

Injection or uterine bolus (probably too late for the bolus). Sorry you lost the kid. I had my arm in a goat when she had a contraction and I was a little surprised how hard the contraction was. There is a reason they call it "labor".

·
Registered
29,973 Posts
ye you can give Penicillan to mom..it would be a very good idea..for five full days 1 cc per 20#, be sure to pull back the plunger..if you see blood readjust and try again..this is a Sub Q medication.....sorry about your little buck...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts