A serious question............................Update :( Mad

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Rogersfarm, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    This is a terrible quetion I know but how long after a doe passes do you have to get the baby out before the baby dies too? I have a doe on her way and I am watching very carefully but I dont know the window of time that I have(just in case I stepped inside for a minute).

2. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Re: A serious question............................

If the kid is still inside the doe you only have a few minutes because if the doe passes the kid has no way for air supply being still in the mother. Be ready to do a "C" section and have everything ready.

3. Hush Hills Fainters

Hush Hills Fainters New Member

Oct 27, 2010

Ya ...I wouldn't step away for very long....if at all. Have you thought of just putting her down yourself and saving the babies so she doesnt have to suffer???? I know it would be hard for me to do...but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do so ya don't loose the babies too.

4. Re: A serious question............................

yup! Be ready immidiately! Honestly if she is on her way, I would step in and "do the deed", and take the kids immidiately. I know it sounds cruel, but no reason to prolong her suffering. good luck sorry you have to deal with this!

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

If the Doe is in Active pushing labor....and a bulge is appearing...and nothing happens within a 30 minutes....I would go in..... and help her..... :hug:

6. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ

Oh man. I am so sorry. :C

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

Yep, if she's on her way then you can put her down and immediately do a c-section and hopefully the babies will make it. You would probably only have a minute or two to get them out.

Sorry to hear about your doe. :(

8. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas

My husband has some friends coming over now to help so that I dont have to watch it anymore. It's really bad for him too, so I think that they are going to try to save the babies if possible. One of the men has alot of experience with goats and is going to get the babies and I guess take the doe out of her pain so that my poor husband doesnt have to. I feel bad for him because these goats are both of our hobbies and we love them equally so it's really hard for him. It's no fun to see a 6'5" grown man get sad over a goat it just breaks my heart:(

9. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Im SOOOOO sorry this is happening, if the mom cant be saved, she should be put out of her misery, good luck. Hope you can save the babies, I KNOW its hard to do that, but its for the best, keep us posted

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

oh I am so sorry :hug:

hope you can save any viable kids :pray: you have a very limited time frame (like seconds more then minutes)

11. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas

Yes as soon as they get here they are going to put her down . She is really close to her due date so if the babies make it through the surgery and are alive then I have high hopes for them or actually 'it" I have no idea if there are more than one. Keep you guys posted. Also I have no access to any fresh colostrum so will the powder from TS work ok? I tried to milk her but I cant get any out. So I went to TS and got SAV A Kid and Colostrum in a bag. I have bottle fed before but as a supplement to the mom so do I need to give the babies anything other than what I have?

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

if thats all you have for colostrum it is certainly better then nothing for them.

if your friends have goats maybe they have colostrum or some goats milk to get them started off right.

I would give them some kind of vitamin supplement like nutri drench or powerpunch

13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

agree, and bo-se too.

so sorry you're going through this, keep us updated :hug:

14. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Re: A serious question............................Update :(

As if it coulnt get any worse ..... Well she died before they put her down and they were fixing to and then she took her last breath .They immediately cut her open to find 3 chocolate and white does our 1st set of triplets we have been waiting and waiting for triplets and they were all dead. Fully developed but dead it makes me sick! We just lost our doe and 3 does.WOW!

15. iddybit acres

iddybit acres New Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Newberry, MI

So sorry for your loss ........

16. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas

That is our 3rd doe to kid this year and out of 6 babies 1 survived not a good start to the year. We had a miscarraige last week 2 bucks then 3 does tonight .... Very discouraging.

17. Springbett Farm

Springbett Farm Senior Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Nebraska

How awful. So sorry. :(

18. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

I am so terribly sorry for your losses :(

19. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

Gosh, i'm so sorry. Have you figured out what is going wrong...health wise with them? Sounds like there is an issue going on to lose so many. :( I hope you have better luck...hang in there.

20. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ

Aww geeze. I'm so sorry. Sounds like maybe she was ready to kid at one time and couldn't? It's so hard with animals, because they can't speak to us to tell us what is wrong. I'm sorry for your loss.