A slight touch of placenta previa?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Damfino, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I had a new experience a couple of weeks ago when a friend of mine left town. The lady who was "goat-sitting" for her called me to say one of the goats (who was on kidding watch) was standing around with string of goo but nothing was happening. I came out and sure enough there was a very filthy string of mucus hanging down but the doe wasn't acting in true labor. She would shift uncomfortably, paw, turn around, lay down, and then maybe give a few noncommittal pushes before getting back up. After watching for half an hour or so and seeing no developments, I decided to have a feel inside.

It was strange. The cervix was wide open but there was no kid in the passage. In fact, it took me a while to find a kid beyond the passage. Instead I was pushing my hand through what felt like a bucket of water balloons before I finally went down far enough to feel a leg. It turned out to be a hind leg so I fished it out and found its mate before pulling the tiny breech kid out. I was confused because the kid didn't seem to be the thing that was plugging up the works--it was that bubbly stuff.

Half an hour later or so the doe laid back down and began to push. A large red placental bubble appeared and I was worried because I was sure the doe had at least one more kid in there. Sure enough, a few minutes later a white bubble appeared alongside the red one, and this second bubble had a kid's head in it. I had to reach in to retrieve the legs, but he wasn't so easy to get out because the placenta was still in the way. The doe soon delivered a third kid and the placenta was still hanging there all muddy and gross where it had been dragged through the dirt. It finally detached after the third kid, but it was a very strange delivery. Reaching in and feeling nothing but soft rubbery bubbles really threw me for a loop. That darn placenta was trying to come out ahead of everyone and I'm really glad I pushed it aside and kept searching for a kid because if I'd waited I'm sure we would have run into problems.

It was a good outcome. A healthy doeling and two robust bucklings. Mama went on a course of penicillin because I'd had my arm so far inside but she turned out fine as well. My friend said she's never pasture breeding goats again! That doe should have been due at least two weeks earlier. She wasn't supposed to have kids while the owner was out of town!

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Boy, sounds like it. Did she only have one placenta?

Damfino and happybleats like this.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    wow..thanks for sharing. Goats will always surprise us just when we think we experience it all!!

Damfino, MadHouse and GoofyGoat like this.
  4. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Boy this year is the year for odd things! I know what your talking about with feeling the water balloons, my sons doe had that too, just I kept feeling something else, it was like jelly and patches of what felt like cat or cow tongue, you know that odd rough feel. I THINK in my sons does case maybe she retained a placenta or she had 2 but she absorbed a kid. I really don’t know for sure but when it came out it definitely looked like a odd placenta piece and then she had another normal one. The vet didn’t know for sure and it was after hours so I don’t think he fully cared either lol he just packed that odd piece up and sent it off to the collage to play with.

5. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I'm guessing she had two more placentas and passed them normally later that night, but there's no way to know of course since she almost certainly would have eaten them. I'm sure if we'd waited and let labor progress on it's own, she would most likely have delivered the placenta first and we'd have lost the first kid for sure. Anyway, it was a happy outcome. All three kids were healthy and mama didn't get sick so that's what matters.

6. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Wow!!! I don't know if I would have known enough to do that. You are awesome - and congrats on a happy outcome!

MadHouse, happybleats and Damfino like this.
  7. Caileigh Jane Smith

Caileigh Jane Smith Active Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    Congratulations on the good outcome and being able to deal with the issue in a timely way. I'm filing this info away as another thing to consider if I have to assist a kidding. Thanks for sharing!

MadHouse and Damfino like this.
  8. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I appreciate your accolades, but I must confess it was not a matter of knowing enough since I'd never encountered anything like it before. It was more a matter of going with my gut and knowing that a doe with a string of mucus should be pushing. If she's not pushing and time is passing, something is wrong and it's time to have a feel. What I felt was clearly not normal but I told myself a few things:
    1. The cervix is open so she's clearly ready to deliver whether she's pushing or not.
    2. There are kids in there somewhere even if they're not where they're supposed to be, so keep reaching around till you feel something bony.
    3. Whatever else is in the way, those kids still have to come out, so push past it and get that kid into the birth canal where it belongs.

Sometimes it is all about what your gut tells you, not what you ever read about or knew. However, I love that this forum is here so we can all share our "weird" experiences and both teach each other and learn from each other. There is a lot of cumulative knowledge here and it's helped me on numerous occasions. :)

9. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
  10. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

So for us newbies, normally the placenta would follow each kid right? And in this doe's situation the placenta was trying to come out first? Am I understanding right?

Thanks for sharing, it's good to know that something like this can happen.

MadHouse and happybleats like this.
  11. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Normally one placenta per each kid. Sometimes twins can share a larger placenta. Normal is placentas after all kids are birthed. Sometimes placenta can come and another kid born then last placenta. Had that happen one year. Doe has twin bucks and two placentas. Thought we were done..went to check on the other new moms, Came back to a doeling..and a third placenta.

12. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Until this doe, I'd only ever seen the normal situation where all kids are birthed, then after the last kid drops all placentas are passed (one per kid) over the next few hours or so. Sometimes the placentas start coming away shortly after the last kid is born and sometimes they take quite a while. It seems like once the first one detaches the other(s) drop a lot more quickly. The first one always seems to dangle behind the doe for what feels like ages before it finally lets go. It's not unusual for me to go to bed when the doe is still dragging around that first placenta so I tie it in a knot and leave it. Most of my girls like to eat their afterbirths so if I don't find them in the morning I assume they were consumed. I haven't had one retain an afterbirth yet, but I did have one that took 12 hours to finally let go. I was about to call the vet when she finally dropped it.

13. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    So much awesome info! Thank you and Good Job!!

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California