The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Some Nubians come from slower growing bloodlines. I had a Saada son who was small until he hit 2 years, then he grew like a weed. He was HUGE! His kids were mostly the same way, slow growth but very nicely built and very tall by the time they were done growing. Give her time.

·
Registered
Registered Boer goat farm consist of 6 goats
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Proper care:
Worming
Cocci prevention
Parasite control
Good hay such as alfalfa and a good 16% grain.
everyone inside gets 1st crop grass hay as they are getting fed 4 scoops of grain in that one pen alone it's only a mill mix but looking at buying a whole pallet of big gain, also we worm with Cydectin+ ivermectin and then cocci prevention from vet

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I still haven’t gotten a picture of her since we just got 4 inches of snow the other night and it’s been hectic

·
I'm watching you
22,516 Posts
I would add free choice alfalfa pellets to their diet. It would give a more balanced feed profile for does.

If you're interested I will teach you how to tell good quality pellets and how to work up to free choice feeding.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not good pictures of her but she’s the same size as a may born Boer doeling granted they are pretty small only weighing in at 60 pounds at 8 months and to me to seems that they are growing but aren’t gaining like some of our other girls do

Attachments

·
Fair-Haven
4,821 Posts
I really can't tell anything from photos.... try to take her by herself and attempt to set her up. 60 pounds at 8 months is very small for a Nubian. Is she grade? She may be mixed with something else if you don't have papers on her.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really can't tell anything from photos.... try to take her by herself and attempt to set her up. 60 pounds at 8 months is very small for a Nubian. Is she grade? She may be mixed with something else if you don't have papers on her.
I really have no way to set her up unless I put her on stand but she's too small for it, she is grade but her dad would've either been a Boer or Nubian

·
I'm watching you
22,516 Posts
Essentially healthy but very small goats can be

following that starvation diet that a veterinarian aid put on Facebook 20 years ago.

weaning too soon

not pushing grains before giving hay

coccidia damage

·
Fair-Haven
4,821 Posts
We really can't tell anything again by pics. What is the grain you showed, what % of protein, how much per head per day etc. What loose minerals are available. What is coccidia load on them and or other worms per fecal? What type of hay (don't understand crop mix - is it fescue, timothy etc?) and quantity are you giving in addition to grain mix.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
16% protein, 1 1/2 pounds per 2 goats 2x a day and the usually there is grain left over next morning, we have a mineral from a local mill that makes a goat mix with 2,500 ppm of copper I can get exact things in it when I go out. They are getting timothy with a little alfalfa. With the grain they get that whole pen of girls get almost a whole bale (one bale of ours is 15 sleeves so they get about 12) 2x a day and we go through 4 bales a day with our goats. Our vet is currently closed but we will be getting fecals on our herd once she is back. I messed up the grain bit it was supposed to say 1 1/2 per goat

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,510 Posts
Essentially healthy but very small goats can be

following that starvation diet that a veterinarian aid put on Facebook 20 years ago.

weaning too soon

not pushing grains before giving hay

coccidia damage
Starvation diet? What exactly is that diet you mention? Just curious. Thanks!

·
Registered
460 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts