A tough decision

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by fcnubian, Nov 4, 2007.

1. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I may have a tough decision come the end of the month. Delilah was not bred with my nubian buck. He doesn't seem mature enough to get the job done. He mounts but doesn't breed or extend far enough to breed. Delilah after this heat (she remained with my buck for 3 days) she should have 2 more heats this year. She is a reg. ADGA nubian. One of my show does. I want her bred this year and I know I wont be able to afford to purchase another buck, nor will I be able to pay for a breeding/boarding fee to get her bred to someone else. If I knew for a fact I wasnt going to show Hannah or Delilah I would wait and breed them in Jan in hopes that Storm would be breeding by then. But since I am not sure if I am going to be showing I need them milking by June because that would be my first show.

Both does are show quality animals. It really stinks to think they may be bred to my unreg. pygmy buck. I am planning if Storm didn't breed delilah this time and I am 99.9% sure he didnt that the next time she is in standing heat, if Storm doesn't get her bred I'll go ahead and breed her to Cocoa so I can see if she comes in heat by the end of dec.

I was really looking forward to kids out of Storm and Delilah. Delilah is my baby and I had planned on keeping a doe kid out of her and Storm.

What really stinks is that I have some one wanting to reserve a doe kid out of Hannah and Storm.

It'd be nice for everything to go smoothly for a change. I had two pygmy does I could never catch in heat so I put them in with cocoa for a while. I have two does that come in heat and ready to breed and a buck that doesn't know how. SIGHS

Atleast kinders have more then one purpose. They could for pets, meat, or milk. And it wont cost me anything to get the girls bred. I was looking forward to Storms babies.

2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I know this feeling all to well. Sometimes those buck kids just arn;t mature enough to do the job. I have noticed especially in the nubians some buck kids mature a lot slower then others. I have a young buck who wants to do the job but he gets bored easily. Im purchasing a second buck to do clean up.
    However this buck will also be well worth the purchase.

Good luck I hope you can get them bred to storm!

beth

3. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    That really does stink! How old is your buck? Our buck, Cass, was born 3/25/07 and he bred his first doe in August...only she wasn't ready and didn't settle. His first doe that settled is due mid to end of Feb.

Can you tell if he is extending far enough? I was reading that when they are born the penis is attached to the sheath by skin. Then when they mount each other and/or just thrust their hips will standing it breaks that skin so the penis can extend. There was someone on DG+ that their Boer buckling was having problems...it was the hows breeding going thread.

Maybe Laura would be able to help you??? I see she is using a Risin' Creek buck.

If you end up breeding your girls to your Pygmy...atleast the babies should sell...

4. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I know some of my does are quiet and you never know whne they are in heat...and the buck I had wasnt loud either and he bred them at night when no one was watching...I have had 4 1/2 mth old bucks breed before...they werent nubians but Alpines...Like Dover Farms said check and see if his sheath needs help and maybe he just isnt ready yet some do and some dont...Good Luck

5. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    He's extending to pee on himself, but when he's mounted he doesn't extend very much.

But I got some good news. I just recieved an email from a guy about breeding Delilah to his buck. The buck fee is affordable... SO Delilah will be bred to him. I'm excited. I gotta call him tonight. :D

6. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    oops forgot to add...Storm was born in April

7. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    That's great! But I do have one question....is this buck going to improve your doe? Is he going to worsen your doe? If he won't improve your doe...I would just breed her to your pygmy.

I don't mean to be a party pooper....but as a breeder your goal is to improve your herd. If this buck isn't going to you any good but give you pure Nubian kids....why pay for the stud fee when you could just breed her to the pygmy for free this year and then have nicer Nubian kids next time?

On the other hand...if he will improve your herd...like I said above...GREAT!!! :D :leap:

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Ditto what Jacque said. You should always breed for quality animals, not just breed them because you can get purebred kids.
    Now, I read on a yahoo list I think it was last year somebody was having the same problems you are with their nubian buckling. The penis could not detach itself from the sheath. Everybody said that some bucks just don't mature as fast as others, just because they are of age doesn't mean they can breed right away.
    Now LaManchas, they start doing the buck thing as soon as they are born!!!! lol

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    good point Jacque.

usually I would say well do it because you would get purebred kids and that is imporant, but if you are going to pay a fee to get so so kids then wait a year and use Storm.

how much is the stud fee? I am trying to see what people consider reasonable.

10. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    He'll improve....He's from the Saada herd. Very correct buck. I loved him the first time I seen him. :D

Saada Bearly Bruin.

11. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Oh well then...Go For It Girl!!! :D :lol:

Laura used to have him...didn't she? I thought he went to the herd KECMR or something like that....can't remember! :roll:

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    cool beans!!! and now if you keep a doe from this breeding you can breed her to storm next year!

13. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Yes Laura use to have him. Rob has him now. He just contacted me. :D I am excited. And Delilah better have a doe kid! LOL

14. goatstafson

goatstafson New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    So glad it is working out for you. I wish that I could find a good Kinder around here! I spent a long time looking and finally just gave up. I have a reserve on a Mini-Nubian for the next spring, so that will be nice. I use the for milk, so I look forward to having her.

15. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    It all went down the drain when my dog had an unexpected vet visit and I was stuck with a $255 vet bill. So the girls are being bred to storm...if he gets the bred. If not guess I'll either have kinders or no kids, or i'll breed hannah to storms sire.

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    You know, isn't it funny how thinks just work out? It always does. At time it doesn't seem like it but it always does.

17. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Uh...Confused...Lol Nothing has worked out. My buck still wont breed and no way can I afford to pay breeding fees. So....I'm back to square one. With two nubian does and no buck to breed to.

18. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Everything will work out, I know it is frustrating when the bucks don't do their "job". I am in a similar boat myself. I must have misread your thread =)

19. ozarksvalley

ozarksvalley New Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Missouri
    Oh, I'm sorry! The Saada goats are so wonderful. How is your dog?