The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Chloe lost her 2nd horn today...
We banded her horns on the 9th of October, and today is the 1st of December. So just a few days shy of 2 months is how long it took...
I went out to milk and she happily greeted me at the gate. I just about fell over when I saw she was missing her 2nd horn! We originally put 3 bands on each horn, but there were only 2 bands on the 2nd because she rubbed off one of them early on, so I was not expecting it to fall off for at least a couple more weeks!
The first horn fell off 6 days ago, and you can see in the photo how nicely it is healing already! :)

I made another post about WHY we banded her horns...
Here is a link...
http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f186/shes-officially-unicorn-158487/

I was SO scared when I decided to do this that something was going to go wrong, that she would bleed to death, that she would get an infection... And MANY other things were floating around in my brain... But THANKFULLY, everything turned out OK!
A good friend of mine did the banding. She's done it many times before. I didn't want to do it myself, but after I watched her do it, it wasn't hard at all....

If I had to do it over again, would I...??? Absolutely! I would do 2 things differently though!
1) I would have SHAVED the base of her horns all the way around, so no hair would get stuck under the rubber bands...
2) I would have STERILIZED the bander, the horn, and the bands BEFORE applying them!

She looks like a BABY now!

I am going to miss her beautiful horns! But I am also hoping we got lucky, and there will be no scurs... Crossing fingers! :)

Attachments

·
Goatless goat momma
7,838 Posts
wow!! banding looks great!!!! glad it went so smoothly for you (I'd be a worry wart too).

after reading your post about banding, I'm seriously considering it for one of my does in the future... she's just so MEAN to our other goat!!

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
She's pretty:) I have 2 ober wethers & a buck that I will be banding this week, they are just getting to rough with their horns, I'm hoping for the same results. Maybe I will use 3 bands instead of 2.

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
Love how she turns her head for a good shot lol...great job..glad it went well...

·
Super Moderator
59,921 Posts
She's pretty:) I have 2 ober wethers & a buck that I will be banding this week, they are just getting to rough with their horns, I'm hoping for the same results. Maybe I will use 3 bands instead of 2.
What helps more than 3 bands is to cut a notch around the base of the horn. Then put 2 bands over that notch. Make sure you change the bands once a month.

·
Super Moderator
14,780 Posts
Thanks for sharing!!! I have a ton that their horns need to come off....mean...heads stuck and on but keep freaking every time I think about it. After they kid and wean their kids any one who hooks at others or gets their heads stuck are getting banded.

·
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
We used a dremmel tool to notch the horn. We notched in the front only. The notch was just big enough to hold the rubber band in place. I will take a photo of the horn so you can see. For some reason, the band didnt 'sink' in the front of Chloe's horns, just in the back and sides. Weird, I know...
I should post some pictures of the horns.... Hmmm

With regard to the aftercare, all you really need to watch for, is infection... But that is something you should be watching for during the entire time the bands are on...
We didn't shave the base of her horns, which we SHOULD have. And we didn't sterilize the area, the horn, the bands, or the bander... And we SHOULD have!
I feel LUCKY that everything went so smoothly!

·
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here are some photos that might help... :)

Attachments

·
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is a more recent photo. So far, no scurs, but I think there might be a bit of new growth. (unless thats the old scabs that havent fallen off yet).
Sorry the pic is so bad. My laptop took a dookie on me, and I have to use my old cell phone to take pics and post. Boo. LoL

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.