A way to save money on feed =)

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by dtincoelemari, Nov 18, 2010.

1. dtincoelemari

dtincoelemari New Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Arizona
    I have been looking around and noticed that nobody else seems to do anything like what we do so, I figured I would share in hopes that it may work for you as well..
    I live in the desert where we don't have much for our goats to browse on and we were always seeing piles of brush and what not in peoples yards. We came up with the idea to put up fliers that we would pick up leaves, scrap brush and tree trimming and haul it off for a small price. We listed our number and said for a list of what we will pick up just call. Our only real rule about it was no poisonous plants and everything has to be fresh cut that day or the day before. We have been picking up peoples brush ever since and we don't loose any money on gas because of the fee we charge. A lot of times we even make a few bucks after gas costs :leap: We also contacted a few of the local landscaping company’s and arranged it so we can pick up all the brush and what not they have (free of coarse)that we can feed our goats. Not only did we cut WAY back on feed cost but we are even making a little profit and pretty much getting free feed =). Our goats get huge variety of food and they seem to love all the goodies!!
    We have also arranged it with the local bread man that all his expired and not moldy breads, buns, rolls, pita bread, etc come to us and he gets half off his goat each year lol which he really is getting a deal seems how no matter what he is out otherwise because all he can do is give it away or throw it out.
    Then during spring and summer we get to cut down all the bamboo we want along the river for free :cool:

Anyhow, that what we did to cut back on feed cost's and it has worked out great for us! So, maybe it would work out great for you if you tried it in your area!!

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Great idea. I wanted to do the same for fresh cut grass, but I decided against it because I never know for sure what or when they fertalize and I do not want to take a chance.

3. dtincoelemari

dtincoelemari New Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Arizona
    Yeah, I was worried about that too but I haven't had an issues and most of what we haul off people don't bother to do anything but water and prune when needed because they are gone most of the year to cooler areas.
    We get alot of
    jojoba clippings and beans
    mesquite clippings and beans (still green)
    desert willow clippings
    grease wood clippings - oddly enough the goats love this stuff :chin:
    bamboo
    cotton wood clipping and leaves
    eucalyptus clippings
    palm branches
    olive tree clippings and olives (no raw olives are not poisonus, just pretty bitter)
    citrus tree clipping and fruits - sometimes these get sprayed for bugs so we always ask and it has we still take but don't feed it to the goats
    pomagrante (sp?) clipping and fruits

Thats about all I can think of off the top of my head =)
    but truste me I share your worries!!!

4. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    I thought about doing that, but we live so far out of town, it wouldn't be worth it. At least at the currant time.

I have gotten neighbors to give us some for free though.

Grass and garden clippings. ONe guy even gave up 30 gals of pears!

5. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    I made good friends with the guy who runs the local produce stand. After thanksgiving he always closes up and he had two big bins (like what you see watermelon in the store) of pumpkins left over as well as a couple boxes of apples, piles of greens, left over cucumber, eggplant, and zucchini. He gave it to me for FREE just so he wouldn't have to mess with disposing of it. I also occasionally get boxes of produce that are past their human consumption prime, but still good (not rotten) So I have been cutting up the pumpkins and feeding them the other stuff a bit at a time. They LOVE it and I'll have pumpkins for months!