A weird nursing question

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Myakkagoater, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Myakkagoater

Myakkagoater New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    I have a 3 Does who had either twins or triplets at the end of August. They all had a girl and a boy. I didn't really notice it as much at first but for the past month it seems that the kids had their own designated side to nurse on. I removed all of the little boys from the females and put them into the pen with the Herd Sire, Cody. I did this this morning and this evening I noticed the udders on the Does were lopsideded. It seemd like one teat had been nursed all day by the little girls but the other side had not been touched and was extremely full. Is this just me imagining things. One other reason for me removing the little boys from the moms was that they seemed so hard on the udders when they would buck with there heads. I know mother nature would take care of this but I felt like I was killing 2 birds with one stone by removing the boys and giving Cody some much needed company.

???
    Tom

2. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    You need to milk the side that is full so they don't get mastitis. You did right to separate them, the boys get fertile really young, and so do the girls. You would not want them to be breeding. Unless you have neutered the males. Use the milk, you are lucky to have some milk in the winter. Goat milk is wonderful.

Jan

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup they do pick their favorite side - you will need to milk that side until the doelings figure out they have both sides available to them (which never may happen but sometimes does).

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have had that happen.... so what I do is... grab a kid and teach it.... there is another side...with success....you have to pick the same kid to teach....every time................ when they all go for the teat...grab the kid and place it ....onto the ignored teat..... do this every time .....you see them nursing ........eventually that kid catches on..... :wink: :greengrin:

5. Myakkagoater

Myakkagoater New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    I will keep an eye on it. This morning 2 of the three does udders looked "balanced". The other still was a bit off kilter. But suprisingly not as bad as last night. If the last doe will get a bit more balanced I will assume the little doelings have handled it. But thanks to all for the advice.

Tom

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    NP..... :wink: :thumb: :greengrin: