The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting this for a friend because I'm concerned about this doe I sold her a couple of years ago. Nubbin was bred December 4th and is due May 2nd (friend is totally sure of the breeding date and marked it down at the time). She just sent me this video a few days ago and I'm worried about Nubbin being this huge with five weeks (at the time video was taken) still to go. She's already having difficulty walking and laying down (she lays on her elbows a lot). She can't walk up the stair into the milk house but has to hop her hind legs up. Any advice for my friend? Should we be worried? I've never had a doe get this big five weeks before her due date. A week or two maybe, but not five weeks! I'm concerned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,045 Posts
Oh my, she's really a waddlin' along...poor baby.
I have no helpful suggestions except watch for ketosis ...maybe a big pile of straw to pad her somewhat while she's laying down.
Poor little lady, maybe using a ramp instead of stairs might help her get into the milkhouse better too.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
83,113 Posts
Yes, there is concern there.

She seems to be limping a bit.
Are her ankles swollen?

I would check ketone levels and is she getting calcium in her diet?

Does she need trimming?
Check her hooves and in between toes.

If she can get a vet to check her, I would highly recommend it.

That is not normal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I told my friend Carole to sign up for a TGS account and apparently she's tried but still hasn't gotten the approval email even in her spam. I sent her this link so she can keep an eye on this thread even if she can't post. I already told her to buy ketone strips so she can test a couple times a week and stay on top of things if the ketones get high.

What should she do if Nubbin's ketones go up? Nubbin is not currently getting grain and has not been during her pregnancy. I don't know about alfalfa. I believe Nubbin gets daily pasture time and I encouraged Carole to keep Nubbin out as much as she can so she moves around while eating. I figure that's better for her than sitting in a shed with food laying in front of her nose.

Nubbin was not bred the last two years because she kept making milk. I have a feeling this is her way of getting everyone back--if we're not going to let her have babies every year, she's going to make up for it by having LOTS of them all at once!
:devil:

Lord, don't let her have five or six in there!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,573 Posts
Wow. She has a bundle in there. If ketones are high..propolyn glycol is treatment..or 50/50 black strap molasses and water. Might support her calcium needs as well..safe way is carrot and celery juice 2 times a day.
 
  • Like
Reactions: MadHouse

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,674 Posts
I'm posting this for a friend because I'm concerned about this doe I sold her a couple of years ago. Nubbin was bred December 4th and is due May 2nd (friend is totally sure of the breeding date and marked it down at the time). She just sent me this video a few days ago and I'm worried about Nubbin being this huge with five weeks (at the time video was taken) still to go. She's already having difficulty walking and laying down (she lays on her elbows a lot). She can't walk up the stair into the milk house but has to hop her hind legs up. Any advice for my friend? Should we be worried? I've never had a doe get this big five weeks before her due date. A week or two maybe, but not five weeks! I'm concerned.
Oh goodness poor girl! @SandyNubians or @bisonviewfarm (i cannot remember which) had spice huge forever maybe she can help? I remember spice not havin so many kids but a huge amount of fluid in there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I just heard from Carole and Nubbin is doing well. Her ketone tests are negative and she's getting around fine. This morning the little dummy wedged herself into a tight space between a dead tractor and a big water tank and her belly got stuck! Sounds like it took Carole half the morning to get Nubbin out, but she seems fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went out to visit Nubbin this afternoon. She's due Saturday but I encouraged her owner to induce sooner. She gave Nubbin the shot this morning so we should have kids by tomorrow. Carole is spending the night in the barn on a cot. I'm on call for when labor starts. She at least has triplets and I'm thinking quads. She's been breathing hard the last few days. I'm thinking the kids are pushing on her lungs. Walking is difficult and laying down is uncomfortable in all positions. She's a large, roomy doe and this is her fourth kidding so my biggest concern is that she'll be so tired from heaving herself around for the last month that she won't have much push when the time comes.

Other than being horribly uncomfortable she looks good. Her ketones were negative until last week when they went halfway up the chart to "small". I told Carole to start giving more sugary treats and some grain. I know we don't want huge kids, but this late in the game the bigger concern is pregnancy toxemia, which I know can come on quickly in a doe this large. Her ketones went back down to negative for a few days and then up to "trace" yesterday. No worries there. I'm really glad Carole decided to induce. Smaller babies will be easier to deliver and Nubbin really needs to have them before her body can't take it any more. I know this poor gal is exhausted from hauling this bundle of kids all over the place and from not being able to sleep well!
Nubbin_4:28:20.1.jpg
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top