A WIDE Load ... but SURELY not ...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Julie, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    Ok, so I was outside all day, doing goat maintenance, and taking tons of pictures, etc. And as I was paying special attention to my goaties, I noticed how WIDE Nanny is.
    Nanny is a pygmy goat (as you can tell by the pictures). She was NEVER bred before, so she's a FF. I DID have her in with a young buck a couple months ago. I purposely put her in with him to breed her with him, but he was young, and during the time he was in with her, he became sick. I'm not sure if he was sick before he went in with her, or after the first day or so .. but he got sick, then go better, then suprisingly died ! (we think he got silent pnuemonia). But anyway, he was in with her for atleast a few days. I honestly didn't think he did anything ... I still really don't think he did. BUT ... looking at Nanny ... does she look extra wide to you's ?? Could all that be ... just a hay belly ?? What do you's think ?? 5-27-08 is the date that I first put Nanny in with Black Jack (the young buck). So she'd be due soon (in a few weeks). But really ... could it be ??

Take a look, tell me your thoughts ...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know she's not HUGE ... but I think she looks "a little extra wide" ... what do ya'll think ??

2. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    Oh and btw ... a couple weeks ago I seen her "flagging" her tail. I don't know if she was in heat or not .. I thought she WAS. Although the tail flagging and hanging around outside was the only things noticeable. BUT the goats HAVE been hanging around outside because of all the fall leaves for them to munch on, so that doesn't necessarily mean anything. And the tail flagging, well I've seen my goats do that often, so I'm unsure about that as well. I could've swore she seemed in heat ... but I could easily be wrong to. So I just DON'T KNOW :shrug:
    So now I'm even more confused.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    how is her bag..............is it filling ...........I can't really tell from the pic...? Usually by the last month you may see the bag growing in size...........especially first timers........

Can you test her with a buck and see if she shows more signs of heat?

4. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    She doesn't APPEAR to be filling her bag yet, but I haven't felt it or anything yet either. Was busy doing everything else today to think about that. So again, with that, I'm assuming she's not preggy, but of course as we all know .. some does don't produce their milk until right before kidding, or even right after. So that still doesn't say anything for sure, although it does make ya lean towards "Not Preggy" even more.

You mean put her with the buck to see if he's interested in her ??

I have done that before with some of my goats, didn't think it worked to well for me, unless I just had bad judgement. But yeah, I planned on putting her with the buck soon anyway. So I can see what he does.

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    ......at standing heat .....she may be very verbal.......she will flag ...may rub on him.........pee/ squat..alot ......you may see a discharge and swollen vulva.......really interested..........she'll do almost anything to attract the man.....Pygmy does... last about 48 hours.in season........If she just walks from him ....with no interest at all then .........she is not in...........

with no bagging it doesn't sound like she is prego ,,but as you said some do not bag until the last minute............................try to give her some baking soda and try to get her to burp......check her in the morning to see if her belly is still that large,,before you feed.........If you have free choice feeding I would try to remove her from that over night ..........to see if it is bloat?

hope this helps

6. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    Well, I do know all the signs for heat ... but like I said, she only "flagged" and stayed outside alot (where she could see my buck) .. that's the only signs I noticed. She didn't seem to be more verbal, I didn't notice any discharge, etc.
    But I will pay attention for signs, etc. when I put her in with him.

I really don't think she's pregnant, or atleast I should say ... I would be pleasantly suprised ! (I loved Black Jack, would love some offspring from him!)

As far as being bloated, I don't really think she's bloated either. She's pelleting just fine, and I can't think of any reason she'd be bloated either. And the only thing that they get unlimited is hay. Otherwise - they each get a specific amount of feed (I tie them each at feeding time to make sure they each get the exact amount I want for them individually). Although I will keep an eye on her ... I don't think she's bloated either.

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

good luck.......... I am sorry I didn't help much.......but maybe someone else can help with your questions soon............

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    leaning toward not preggy

due date would be October 24th you should see or feel SOME udder developement which doesnt seem to be the case. You will know soon though

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'll have to say not preggy either....this late she would be "round the whole way around" not just her belly, at least thats how my pygmies look..lol.....she would have some uddergoing too, not full but you should be able to feel at least a handful there, and the pic isn't showing that. If she does surprise you, you'll find out in a couple weeks. :greengrin:

10. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Well Im gonna stick my neck out here. Knowing nothing about Pygmies either!!
    But her wide load looks even alright so Im gonna say yes.

11. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    WELL ... I'm going down to my barn right now, so while I'm down there, I'm gonna feel for an udder. And pay special attention to anything else that might help clue me in. I'll update you's when I come back up. :) Thanks for the replies so far !

12. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    WELL ... Nanny's udder is flat as a pancake. Couldn't be any flatter. So I'm assuming she most likely isn't pregnant (although I wish she were!).

I was looking over all my goats again, just standing back, observing them all, and all the does are a little pudgy, but Nanny ... she's EXTRA pudgy ! I did make sure there was some baking soda for them ... "just in case" ... but honestly, I've seen them peeing and pelleting, and that's all normal, so I don't think they appear to be bloated.

Soooo ... if they're just simply "that size" with no particular reasons such as pregnancy, bloat, etc. ... are they TOOO fat for breeding !!?? I am getting ready to put the next doe (Nanny or Daisy) in with the buck ... I hope they don't have problems getting bred ! What do ya'll think ??

13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yes, put them on a diet, before they go in.

14. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    Jee, I hate to think of putting them on a diet ... unless I REALLY truly need to (which I'll admit, I just might). But, my pygmy girls are only getting 1 cup of DUMOR goat feed per day with 1/4 cup of BOSS. And unlimited hay. that's the amount I've always fed my pygmy girls. So is it possible that those are just hay bellies ??? :scratch:

I've been keeping up on checking eye lids, and deworming, etc. So I don't think they're bloated looking from worms.

I dunno ... I really hate to give them less than a cup of feed a day, especially right before I'm getting ready to send them in with the buck. But I'll cut back if I need to.

ANy more opinions ??

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Well its up to you but you dont want them having complications.

I would cut back their grain intake, it obviously isnt needed

but be sure it isnt all fluff --- their winter coats do make them look extra large

16. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    no, I know it's not fluff ... I felt all their bellies ... they are truly as round as they look ! (and this is where I'd put the smiley with BIG eyes ) that's all belly.

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Is her belly tighter than a drum? Or is there ,,,,,,,,,give to it?

18. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    animals know things that we humans do not
    i keep hearing from all the old farmer types that it is going to be a NASTY winter
    maybe she is putting on extra weight for the upcoming winter
    at 1C a day i don't think i would cut down...
    but if you do only cut down the grain by 1/4 cup and keep the 1/4 cup BOSS
    there is no way i would put any animal on a diet with winter this close

19. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    I agree ! And I really haven't wanted to put any of them on a diet ... not since they're at 1 cup a day of grain, that's what I've always fed them. Plus they don't appear to be fat in their shoulders, legs, etc. It's mainly their belly. So I'm wondering (like I said previously) if it's just big hay bellies, plus with all these fall leaves falling into their pens ... they have an unlimited supply of that now to. I'm not putting them on a diet. I'm keeping them at the same amount. I think it's a good amount for their size/breed, etc. Like I said ... it's the amount I've always fed my pygmy goats. Unless pregnant or nursing.