A WWYD? scenario.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by riaketty, Mar 14, 2009.

1. riaketty

riaketty New Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Millersport, Ohio
    One of the goats we bought (and her two kids) tested positive for CAE. We were going to have her taken to slaughter. I contacted the lady we bought them from (B) and she refunded us for the adult goat and said she would talk to the lady SHE bought them from (R) because R might want the goat back instead of putting her down. Fine and dandy. R calls and says she wants her.

I asked her if she wanted the kids too and she said yes. Now, after thinking about it, I realize we didn't talk about money or if R was "buying" them or what. :( So, she's on her way to get the adult and maybe the kids.

Would it be wrong of me to deny her the kids unless she pays for them? They were born while B owned the adult, so R never 'owned' the kids. We paid $150 for them - not a lot, but a "lot", you know? And I know we could get that back by either selling them as meat or even getting the meat for ourselves.

It's such a touchy thing, especially because of the CAE. I don't want to seem totally rude but I do want something for the kids, be it meat or money. Should I just tell her that we're going to sell them, and if she makes an offer, accept it? Or what?

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Has B given you the money for the mom, and if so how much?

3. riaketty

riaketty New Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Millersport, Ohio
    We have money for the mom from B -- what we paid, $120.

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    So you have come out even then?

If that is the case, and the R wants the kids, I would definately send them on their way with momma - reason being 99.9% they got CAE from their momma and you don't want that on your farm. Also you would have to keep them for some time before they are ready for freezer camp (again goes back to CAE animals on the land) or sell them but then your name is out as having CAE animals - so personally, because you mentioned you want to be a reputable breeder - I would send them on their way.

But that is just me.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have to agree with...Allison.... :hug:

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I agree with Allison as well.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would find out if she is going to just sell them as pets or if she is going to slaughter them. If she is going to get money off them then you should get the money too as you had to pay to feed mom while she was pregnant adn got nothing out of the deal.