Aargh! What is it with people wanting free goats!!!!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, Nov 18, 2008.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Okay, so I have been advertising a heap of my angora does, wethers and kids for sale because I need to cut down on the feed bill. Much as I'd love to keep them all I cant afford it.

But I keep getting emails from people wanting goats for free! Now, in the ads I put the price ... but the emails mainly go along the lines of:

'Hi, I'm ............and I have 130 acres of great pasture located at .........and I can rehome your unwanted goats/donkeys/cows/sheep, provided you organise transport'.

What the??

Then another one this morning:

'Hi, I'm ...............and I am looking for a free goat, female only, to keep my other goat company.'

Then a third one,

'Hi, I am wanting to swap my 5 crossbred dairy does for 4 of your Boer does plus a buck, must be purebred and registered'.

Honestly, are these people delusional??????

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with you keren............. it is very aggravating... :( ..it's the bad economy and the desperation of people......... that cannot afford to feed there goats......... so they either gave them away....or gave them away ......for a ridiculously low prices....now these buyers ......expect them for free ........or really cheap....When we ..........that have quality animals............ will not give away our animals......we have to much into them....
    If you put a price in your ad ...and maybe put firm ...and no trades, those kind of buyers may lay off... :thumbup: :wink: good luck

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    The first one to me sounds like a scam that is going on around here in the states, the second sounds like she has a buck and wants to breed - but doesn't want to pay a cent (although you know she will sell the kids), and the last one sounds like the person is just smoking crack - :ROFL:

I get that once in a while also - or they email on a goat I have listed and want to cut the price in half. Hello - I set that price for a reason.

Some people are just dumb - you have to forgive them - :shrug:

4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    toth, happy to report I have found serious buyers for them all, just sick of these nutcases contacting me :roll:

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    well congrats on your sells..that is so neat... .. :thumbup: ....yes ...I am also getting tired of the nut cases as well....they are so pathetic..they should get a life...LOL :) :(

You are so right about the scams ...I get them saying....
    I am interested in your "item" for sale ....give me the total price... will you except a cashiers checks.... I will arrange for pickup of the item.....and awaiting for a quick reply
    ......Now.... that is a scam and a 1/2 ...LOL...it sticks out there like a sore thumb :thumbup: Key words..."your item"...if they seen the add ....they would know what I am selling..duh :doh:

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Wow,,,that sounds irritating...I haven't had any of those, YET! I would get extremely annoyed!!! :angry:

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    yep.........it is... :GAAH:

8. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    I have had lots of those e-mails-I hate it sooo much! And whats more they use my contact page on my site!!! :hair:

9. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I know around here the ones who look for the "free" goats are or have connections to dealer, that will take them to auction or resells them

10. QotL

QotL New Member

May 27, 2008
    Maine
    Ya know.. we have that add for "unwanted farm animals, you deliver" up here in Maine, too. Not to be rude here, but we are talking FARM ANIMALS. Except for what, horses, the rest are all edible. I'd much rather go that route, and know my animals had a good life, than to deliver them to someone who is advertising like they are looking for huge numbers, kwim? I always worry when people don't seem particularly choosey.

Now for the person who wants to trade crossbreeds for purebreds... LOL! I haven't seen that in goats up here, but have in chickens. "Want $40 for mixed breed roo or trade for pair of sumatra or something else really expensive" :ROFL:

11. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    I've been seeing alot of free animals on craigslist recently, horses, goats, you name it. I think it puts people into the mentality that all they have to do is ask, and you'll give them whatever they want.

Just a thought, if they are contacting you via your website, maybe you could put a note by the contact info stating that you do not give away your goats for free? I'm sure that this is very frustrating.

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    My horses I got for free from CL, I was contacted and asked to take 3 goats that needed a good home, friend of a friend at work gave me his 2 wethers.

With the economy the way it is - some just can't take care of their animals - it is sad

13. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    A friend of a friend of ours tried to give us her 10,000 dollar Arabian colt~ man I wanted him so bad! But we couldn't because we are the verge of moving and I may have to sell the horse I already have. :sigh: My cousin gave away her TB-QH cross gelding for $400 dollars---a horse that normally would have gone for at least 1500. It is sad---i just hate it when people call meabout my horse and want to trade their old car for her! I have her priced pretty high----2500 or best offer----for the personal reason of*don't tell daddy* I don't want to sell her!

14. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    The thing is, I put a lot of money into these animals. And yes, while they are sort of pets and I love them I also need to think economically and the wallet says, no animal is worth nothing, because even with my cull goats I can take them in to the abbatoir and I get $1/kg liveweight. A mature Boer doe thats 80 or 90 dollars, an Angora 40 to 50. Now, thats significant money there. I guess it probably costs me $15 to take them to the abbatoir but still.

My goats help put me through uni. I cant afford to give them away.

Just found an Australian ad online for 7 crossbred boer goats for a total of $170. Thats what ... $24 dollars each?

Yes, I have recieved free goats before but only from people I know well, and I didnt go over there asking for them, they gave them to be because for one reason or another they needed to get rid of them.

15. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Personally-we wont accept FREE goats- we have too much money invested in our goats to lose them to disease or having a "mutt" goat breed one of our high dollar does. I understand they are free-or even cheap-and 2 years ago I would have jumped all over them to sell for meat. We have had people call us wanting free goats, and it makes me so mad that some people would think that we put all of our time,effort, and money into our animals, just to give them away. We don't sell ours expensive, but they aren't cheap either- you get what you pay for is the way I see it :shrug:

16. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I'd just spam people wanting free. Why bother wasting your time with them. If people call wanting free ask them where they saw free in the ad. That'll put them on the spot.

I had a guy want to trade me an incubator for two does. The incubator was worth maybe $300 used and I told him I could do one doe, but not two. He said he couldn't do that when he could get them for half that price elsewhere. I told him that yes he can find Nigerians much cheaper everywhere, but you won't find quality animals for the price he wanted to trade them for. Drives me nuts.

17. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Well, it just keeps going :roll:

My friend who has crossbred Boers - high percentage ones - had a friend ask her for a starter herd - five does and a buck. She picked out five white/pale headed but 75% boer does, about 2 to 3 years old, plus a 4 mth old buck which would be about 93.75%.

Anyway, I was out there a few weeks ago when she mentioned this, and I helped her pick out the does and the buck. The does are good solid, commercially orientated does, nothing wrong with them it is just her personal preference that she prefers the coloured heads. If I had more space I would take them in a heartbeat - I love the white heads. And that little buck is just outstanding, he has so much muscle expression and capacity, along with a real sire's outlook.

So she calls me tonight said the bloke came over and looked at them, and offered her $400 cash for the package. Now, I'm sorry but those does are worth $100 each, I would have dropped the price to $400 for just the five does, making them $80 each, but when you factor in that brilliant little buck kid, he has gotta be worth $80 to $100 at least. At least. If not more like $150.

So in the end I told her it was her decision, obviously, but in my opinion $400 wasnt enough for them. I think she was going to speak to the guy in the morning, and if he didnt budge she will advertise them elsewhere.

18. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    People wanting free goats drives me nuts too, we tell people how much time, effort and money we put into our goats and they still don't get it. A neighbor of ours wanted to bring her does over to breed to our bucks(mind you these bucks are quite expensive) She wanted to do it for free because she thought $35 was just outrageous to pay for a breeding fee and she thought that since we had bucks she could just use them. We politely told her no we don't stud our bucks to outside does and she got mad and never asked us again.

We had a lady come by one day who wanted to buy a boer buckling to put in a garage with her only doe. She thought $25 was a fair price to pay, and she thought we were nuts to charge her $200 for a buckling. We ended up rescuing her doe in the end and giving that doe to a good friend of ours.

Only on two occasions have we given goats away. The first occasion was the doe mentioned above, we got her for nothing, she wasn't the best doe and had come from some pretty horrible conditions. We brought her back up to health and gave her to a friend bred for milk. The second time we gave a goat away was to an apprentice of ours whose daughter has celiac really bad and cannot tolerate cows milk. We have an agreement though that we get the first doe kid back from this doe when she kids, and they were totally okay with that.

Thats just my experience :)