The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We rescued a goat that had been abandoned at a friend's house. I have put an ad in the paper to make sure that he didn't get out and have also checked around where he was found.....no news. He is so sweet and well behaved, and very trusting with me, but is very skiddish around my fiance so there is a possibility that he was treated good. He is very skinny, but we have fattened him up a little bit. He's a beautiful boy that we call Tatonka (Indian word for buffalo) since he resemble one :) Unfortunately he has one horn that has curled and is pushing against his head. Does anyone know how I should go about getting it away from his head?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
So good that he found you to care for him :hug:
If he is okay with being handled, you could check his ears for tattoos, if he has any it can tell you how old he is and where he came from.

Is Tatonka a buck or a wether?

The curled horn he has is called a scur if it is small and flexible, you may be able to snip the end a bit to be able to use an elastrator band at the base so it looses circulation and falls off.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
LOL :) Pic being added rules out the looking for tattoos in his ears! He's a LaMancha! Check the skin of his tail for tat's :)

He was obviously a buck born to a herd that disbuds kids, other wise he'd have full horns.

Getting him a loose goat mineral such as Manna Pro and good grass mixed hay, if his lower eyelids appear to be pale to white he may have a parasite problem and worming would be good for him.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
He is handsome...Love the name you gave him...If you do find his inner lower eye lids are pale..treat for worms but also for anemia...

On his curled scur...they have a wire saw that can be used to trim it away from his head he wont like it..if its loose on the scalp..his fussing over your trimming could very well break it off..If this happens,,DONT PANIC...: ) he will be fine..it will bleed alot..just be ready with blood stop or flour or something...Mine break theres off often in playing together..it can look scary..but its fine...

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Wire saw or hoof trimmers. You'll need to secure him really well because he won't want to be touched there. Also, I would get a wet rag and lift up his tail...see if you can find a tattoo on him. They are located on the soft part of the underside of the tail...on Lamanchas.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
wer had a doe like that she broke her horn and then it grew into or almost into her skull, we just trimed it with a wire saw every year.

·
8,157 Posts
I have an older buck with a scur that touches his head. We just cut back about 3/4" with a hacksaw blade! He
stands pretty well while I hold his head. Now, he needs it done again and he is in full rut! Yuk! :sick:

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Oh he is a looker ! Love his face :)
Yeah , check for a tat under the tail. He could also be chipped. If you use a vet that has a scanner , check the tail as well. It looks like you own him , no one claimed him when you listed him i , so finders keepers ;)
Or maybe just put a post up in your local feed store if you want to give it another shot.
He looks friendly :)

I hate when people just open their gate and say ,
"see ya" when they don't want their animals :( ( if that was indeed the case )

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will definitely get a wire saw to trim his horn! Thank you everyone for the help. I will be deworming him today. I'm not sure if we will be keeping him or giving him a new home, because we mainly breed Nubians. I will be keeping him until he gets healthy and then might check around to see if anyone is needing a good looking buck. He is in full rut so I might wait for a couple weeks to cut his horn. Tatonka is the biggest sweetheart :) and maybe the most well behaved out of all 13 of my goats haha. I did check his tail when we first brought him home and he has no tattoo :( everyone drove around where he was found and no one claimed him.

·
Super Moderator
58,830 Posts
Maybe you can have him neutered and just keep him around that way. I have always found uses for wethers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts