Abby's transition- need help

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by 4kids, Jan 14, 2010.

1. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I really want to transition Abby back with Wildflower. Everytime I bring her out she gets right on to nurse without assistance and actually doesn;t really want the bottle. Wildflower is mothering her well. The next few days are going to be nice high 30-40. Suggestions? The boy is not as eager to eat today and I thin needs more of my attention.

2. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Leave him with his mom and keep an eye on him to make sure he is feeding ...she will carw for him. Sometimes when we humans spend time and give a lot of attention(which is so hard to resist) the kids get more attached to us. Left with Wildflower they will not hold out for the bottle. Best of luck !!

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would leave her out with her mom -- watch for any change in behavior from Wildflower towards her daughter.

You dont need to be there 100% of the time but just keep checking on her over the next couple days. Dont want her to suddenly reject her. But at this point I dont think she will, if she was going to reject her it would have been after the vet visit and she didnt smell like mom again.

As to the boy -- keep up the special attention adn keep takign him to mom to see if thats what he needs, I hope he makes it

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I agree, I would leave the girl out with mom, but keep an eye on her to make sure she is getting enough milk. I'd also keep the boy inside a bit longer. ;)

5. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Do you think I should worry about the temp. difference. Because I myself have a baby my house is warm. Although it isn't freezing out and I bring Abby out freguently it is a temp difference of 35+ degrees.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    do you have a coat or sweater for her? do you have a stall inside? then she should be fine

7. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I do have a stall inside but the coat i have is way too big!

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    do you have an old sweatshirt you dont mind cutting up?

if so use the sleeve and cut it down to size, then cut two holes for her front legs and slip it over her head

9. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I used a tube sock. So far so good!

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree..... one thing if you notice.... when a kid is suckling...a mom after a short time will move away from the kid....and you think ....man they didn't get enough....But nature makes it that way... so they don't over eat.......they get little amounts at a time.... throughout the day... and usually get the required amount.... one way to know is...check the babies tummy.. near the flank area ...from time to time.....feel if ..the kid has something in it... if it is really loose and feels like.. the kid isn't getting enough.... then supplement...by milking some out of mom.. and try to bottle feed the kid..... If the kid has a full or something in the tummy the kid should be OK.... Also at times throughout the day I go and get the kid to suckle by just putting them close to mom s flank ...give a tickle on the butt...above the tail.... then move back....and the kid should suckle... Good luck :hug:

11. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    She seems to be okay. I just worry about the cold. It is cold here (although better than a few days ago). She was in my warm house. I do have her in a stall, have a heat lamp on overpart of the stall (the door to the barn is open however for the other goats), and she has a sweater on. I quess she just needs to adjust. I really want the doe to raise her. One bottle baby is plenty!!!!!

12. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I am not sure where you live but I am in Northern Indiana and my kids are outside. This week has been warmer like in the 30's during the day and teens at night. They shiver a little but are fine. I didnt even put coats on them. When they were born I did blow dry them off. But they get used to the weather. It is best if you put them out during the day that way as it gets colder they will slowly get used to it. Mine found the box and heat lamp on their own. So I am sure she will be alright. I agree you should keep the boy inside a little longer until he gets stronger then he should be able to stay warm once he gets a little more fat on his bones. Good luck and have fun I know I am with these little babies, I will prob keep breeding each year if things keep going smoothly. This was going to be a one time thing. But who can resist babies.