The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a very well bred Nigerian doeling from a well known breeder that most people would know. A month after she arrived, she developed a abscess that looked suspiciously like CL. The vet was positive that she had it. We tested the puss and...it came back negative. I breathed a huge sigh of relief. About 6 months later, another abscess. Again we went to the vet, this time had a blood test, since I thought that she should have antibodies by now. Again another negative test. About 2 months later, we have another very large abscess.
I have no clue what to do. I've put a huge amount of money into my herd. We drink raw milk. None of my other goats have ever had an abscess. To make things harder, I love this little doe. She is beyond sweet and happens to be the one that follows me everywhere. She currently has a 5 week old kid that she is raising and I don't want the baby exposed, should the abscess rupture. My gut is telling me to have her put down. I can't send this problem to someone else, but I don't know how to look at this innocent little girl and do that.
I contacted the breeder immediately after the first abscess and she of course had never had abscesses in her herd. I would expect nothing less. The problem with that story is that CL has a 2 month incubation period, and I'd only had her a month.
Any suggestions would be very appreciated. Both vets, looking at her abscess thought it was CL and were surprised by her negative results. Could this be something else? Thankfully, none of my other goats have been exposed and I've been able to catch her abscesses. She also gave me a beautiful doeling that I am very excited about

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
If it was CL, I would expect a positive result at least once. If the breeder hasn't ever had it and neither have you, I would start looking for other possibilities. Insect bites, thorns, ect... There are so many things that can cause them.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Is she getting the abscesses in the same spot? What does the pus look like? I would think she would have tested positive with the pus if it was CL. Do you know what lab it was sent to? Maybe next time you could send some pus in to WADDL yourself for testing.

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
Did the vet do a blood test or puss test?

If it is in the same local, I would suspect a sticker sliver or something that is causing it.
Did the vet cut it open and look really good and deep in there?

You might want to bring up staph infection to your vet as well.

Was the abscess kept open and flushed for a few days after? If it closed, without flushing for a few days , it may of festered again.

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update

The abscess completely disappeared this morning. It came up very quickly and was very large, so maybe it was just an allergic reaction, and yes, each time it has been in the same spot. I'm feeling a great deal of relief right now, but will probably take her in for another blood test to ease my mind.
Very, Very weird.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
If it's been tested and negative each time and in the same spot, I would suspect a Staph and it was not kept open long enough to allow for drainage and proper healing from the inside out.
You can send off the pus in a red top tube to WADDL and have it cultured to see exactly what type of bacteria you are dealing with.... but I would suggest a thorough flushing with an iodine solution daily for 3-5 days as well as packing it with a triple antibiotic ointment to keep the hole open to allow drainage, once healed it should not come back but having the culture done will help with treatment in the case that it would.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts