The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boy has a lump behind the top of his shoulder. I know he came from a CLA free herd, and his parents were tested. But the kids were not. I fear I am being a paranoid new momma. Please let me know what you think, and what I should do. Thanks.

·
Registered
31,474 Posts
call your breeder...ask if he got a vaccine and where she gave it...shoulder is a common shot location ;)

·
Registered
31,474 Posts
humm not quite a shot location...I thought it was on top.near the blade...this is a cyst..but from what cause Im not sure...it looks tohave lost the hair from it? is is soft and squichy or hard...and in the one pic I see a bald white spot..perhaps a scare from a previous cyst??

·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The boys did have shots, and yes the breeder said it was given in the shoulder. He said it was normal for there to be a "pea" size lump for a while. But this is much bigger than a pea.

·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the center of it is grey and hairless, the rest of it has very small scattered hairs on it. It is soft but firm. you only see it if I part the hair away from it.

·
Registered
31,474 Posts
its a bit low for shots..but doesnt mean he didnt give it there...I would keep an eye on it...if it become very soft in the center..then seperate him until you know what you are dealing with...its not very large and does look like what my kids call a shot spot bump...

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Looks like an abscess from a reaction to a shot. Last year we used the Bar Vac vaccine and got this reaction in one of my poor doelings. It did burst, drain, and heal. We flushed it with iodine. The puss should be clear and watery, not chunky.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Since we don't know what this is, be sure to use "universal precautions" when cleaning up the exudate. Be sure to use gloves and do not let the contents come in contact with any surfaces, catch it all and burn contents (keep some for testing if it looks suspicious). But, it sounds like the breeder is optimistic that it is nothing serious. So, that is good. I had a doeling get an abscess from a shot...cleaned up nice and no problems.

·
1,524 Posts
I probably wouldn't hurt to have it tested for CL if it pops either by itself or with help. The only sure way of testing for CL is by testing the pus. Blood tests are not very accurate. This will ease your mind because you will know either way.

If he is from a CL free herd and you have never had it on your property, you should be pretty safe.

·
Registered
31,474 Posts
never hurts to test but its not in a traditional CL location, it does look like a shot spot cyst...;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts