The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am really confused with this one.

Had a goat with a lump under her jaw. The vet came and lanced it, he said it was an abcess. He lanced the abcess, cleaned it, then put iodine on it and we let her go.

Swelling has gone down and now the goat is jumping around like she's got fleas in her vulva. So I checked it out and it looks like this:

What the heck is going on?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Her vulva looks normal to me. I have a lot of does that look like that after they pee. It sound like something is irritating her. Can't say for sure what it is.

Was she tested for CL before the vet lanced the abscess? What came out of the abscess? How is her FAMACHA score? Temp? Do you see any Lice/mites on her?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vet did not think it was CL because of the consistency of the matter coming out of the lump. Opening the abcess produced a white mucus. Vet said it was pus. I did't see any lice on her. She's the only one in the herd acting like this. I don't know anything about a FAMACHA score but she was wormed recently.

One thing I noticed: there was a pile of poop with orange stuff around it - like it had been soaked in iodine.

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,532 Posts
I'm not sure what looks weird about the vulva...the splotches? Are those not normal?

How much iodine did he use? It could be possible she's having a reaction to it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THe splotches weren't there before. Seeing her vulva look like that seemed very ominous but now I don't know, considering the reactions on this thread.

Thinking she may have some kind of biting insect now. So unfair to the poor goat to have so many issues! How she got biters (none of the other goats are bothered) seemed like no coincidence but.... it could be just be her bad luck. She was down on the ground for a while during the abscess lancing, she may have picked up some biting external parasite... but I just don't know.

Now I'm considering giving her a shampoo when its warmer. Hate to see her suffer! She's been through enough!

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Some goat's vulvas are spotted, so that may be what others think is normal.

I see the orangy spots and if they weren't there before, and she had orange-ish poop, I'd be inclined to think he used way too much iodine and she's having a reaction to it. As if her body is trying to rid itself of it and causing her to feel funny, which is why she'd jump around. I was trying to look up and see if too much iodine could cause symptoms that would irritate nerves or skin or such.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Also...the lump under her jaw, how big was it? Could it have possibly been a goiter? They will get that when too low on iodine.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The lump under her jaw was about the size of a golf ball. The vet poo-poohed a lack of iodine in the diet. He thought the pus coming out of the lump justified a diagnosis of an abscess.

I'm afraid to say this, but she seems a bit less twitchy...fingers crossed

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello! I am really confused with this one.

Had a goat with a lump under her jaw. The vet came and lanced it, he said it was an abcess. He lanced the abcess, cleaned it, then put iodine on it and we let her go.

Swelling has gone down and now the goat is jumping around like she's got fleas in her vulva. So I checked it out and it looks like this:

What the heck is going on?
The access most likely is contagious. Will spread by the pus to the other goats. You have to pen her up away from the other goats and clean it out everyday with iodine to kill the bacterià, until it quits draining pus. Takes about five months for any other goat to be where the pus or the coat is to be reasonably safe to go. Also any water tank or feeder she may have infected with pus. You can vaccinate for this, not sure how much the vaccine works. Another abcess will will show up on the goat in about five months. I have had the same problem. I got rid of the infected goats but a few more ended up being infected. I started injecting penicillin in the lumps before the hair comes off and inject not in the bald spot and have not had the abcssses come back except in one goat. I could set my clock by when they come baçk it has been right on five months. Cleaning them out is very painful and they don't like the penicillin shots

·
Fair-Haven
4,738 Posts
I don't necessarily think the abcess is contagious. Since the pus was not sent in for testing to determine if it was CL, or something more benign it is an unknown. The vet stated he did not think it was CL, so in this case she doesn't know. Certainly if CL is a concern, your quarantine suggestions are fabulous ones. Other things can and do cause lumps, so if the goat doesnt' have anymore current abcesses, and this one is dry and not leaking, at this point it's just management. If it comes back, or she has more, I would try to send it out for testing for piece of mind.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't necessarily think the abcess is contagious. Since the pus was not sent in for testing to determine if it was CL, or something more benign it is an unknown. The vet stated he did not think it was CL, so in this case she doesn't know. Certainly if CL is a concern, your quarantine suggestions are fabulous ones. Other things can and do cause lumps, so if the goat doesnt' have anymore current abcesses, and this one is dry and not leaking, at this point it's just management. If it comes back, or she has more, I would try to send it out for testing for piece of mind.
No way to tell by looking at pus. The contagious abcssses usely are around the face and neck. I would treat it as such until known otherwise. I would bet that it is. Unless the vet saw an abcsssed tooth or pulled out a thorn it is most likely the contagious kind, I wouldn't take much stock in the vet's guess at looking at it. Wouldn't need labs if it was that easy to tell. Instead u can vaccinate a goat for it even after it is infected. I have pretty much eliminated it with the penicillin shot to the abcess, which I learned from another breeder who had said it had worked for him. Been 5 years on some of the goats with no more problems.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update on this issue: the goat did get the abscess back, in the same location under her jaw. Didn't take 5 months, but it came back, after she kidded. This time we cleaned it out, and had it analyzed and it was not CL. Huge relief! It's a bacteria that responds to penicillin- 10 days worth of shots or capsules. Chose capsules- specifically, they're amoxicillin capsules which we're hiding into peanut butter balls (my goats love them). I didn't know goats could get amoxicillin capsules! But this is a happy ending & just wanted to share.

I hope it helps someone else!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am really really relieved!!! Especially since she had the cutest kids- I'm thrilled actually!
This is so good to hear!!
What happened with the itching and scratching and stomping issue? I am still trying to find out what is going on with my girls and their stomping and itching and biting. No fleas, tick or lice and no scabs indicating mites.
what did you find out? :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts