abcesses from CDT vaccine

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by trailhound, May 13, 2008.

1. trailhound

trailhound New Member

Mar 22, 2008
    North Carolina
    I gave my kids a CDT vaccine on Sunday, in the armpit as recommended by my vet in case of abcess. Today, they have lumps where I gave the vaccine- should I be worried? My small animal vet friend said to keep an eye on it and mentioned cellulitus (spelling?) because it seemed to be a tissuey mass instead of a liquidy mass, and didn't seem to worried, but I lost a rescue pony to cellulitus last year so that word really worries me. My goat vet is off tomorrow.

Not sure if I should wait patiently and see how it goes, or need to worry. Everything else is normal.

Thanks!
    Andrea

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have had little lumps from the CD/T - in time they usually go away.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have lanced the one that one of my goats had and flushed it - then it finally went away.

I hope that yours goes away without having to do that!

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have had lots of lumps from CDT. I have found that if we use the Colorado serum instead of the Bar Vac, we have a lot less lumps, and my vet finally agrees with me.
    Some things to help reduce the lumps.
    1. Rub the area for at least 30 seconds after the shot to help spread the med around.
    2. Give 1cc in one direction and pull the needle out just a bit (not all the way) and face the needle another direction. That has helped 100% in my herd.

I have some goats that have had the lumps for a year or two. I talked to the vet about lancing it and he did it once but said he would not recommend it because of a chance of infection. I will not hurt them at all to have that lump. (Now that is HIS opinion, I am not saying at all not to do it).

If you show and a judge feels it they might ask what it is just to be sure. We have had several judges ask, and we have never been knocked down for it.

5. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I frequently get a bump with the vaccine sold by my vet but they have always disappeared- I think that rubbing them vigorously helps. Those initial 5 cc shots are pretty large- when you are on the yearly maintenance of 2 ccs it seems a lot better.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the two different directions is somethign I have never heard but that sounds like it would work!

I have heard the same thing about the Bar Vac vs Colorado serum (with by the way is now called somethign else not CD/T just in case you are looking for it). Haven't had a chance to try it but I would love to! It was out of stock when i tried back in January and February :(

7. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i also give the shot in the arm pit & i get injection site absesses. i always give the shots in the same place on every doe. if i do get one that has or had one i will get the vet to write me a letter saying what it is. most show people know what it is but some folks just get so freaked out when they see a scab it saves time just to have the letter. i have never had one get any thing from it but i do flush with peroxid mixed with iodine till it is healled

8. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I have never had one abscess only form a lump that disappeared gradually.

9. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i have had them do both

10. trailhound

trailhound New Member

Mar 22, 2008
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the help! Talked to the vet today and she said pretty much what you guys said, so I am going to just keep an eye on the lumps.
    Andrea