The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question, can I sell a goat with just the ABGA registration application? Or do I as the breeder need to get the papers in my name first then transfer it into the buyers name.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
You used to be able to, not sure any more as it's been a while since I had Boers. As long as the new owners name is listed as the person registering the goat. If your name is on it, you will need to register and then transfer the goat to the new owner.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
No print up the application and fill out the animals info (name, dam sire and so on) and the breeder info. Where it’s the owner section, the person you are selling the animal to puts their info there so that the papers will be sent to them. My two cents? Don’t leave it blank and just but the buyers info there. I always left it blank. What do I care if the person I’m selling to never puts it in their name or they sell the animal with the app later on. Then one of those animals my buyer bred and then sold her with the blank owner section and a service memo. The new owner couldn’t use the service memo because I didn’t own the buck. Anyways it wasn’t a huge ordeal for me, I had to just let them know when I sold the doe and to who, I keep all that info anyways. But the new owner needed it when I was going off a few hours sleep and in the middle of kidding so it was another chore I didn’t want at the moment. So now I just fill that section in before the goat leaves

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
Yes, you can sell a goat with just the ABGA application for registration, if you were the breeder and owned the sire and dam at that time.
But, you also must have the Sire used DNA tested for ABGA records for that buyer to be able to register offspring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts