ABGA transfer

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Noisy Bottle Babies, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Noisy Bottle Babies

Noisy Bottle Babies Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2019
    Galesville,WI
    Ok we bought this buck he’s sire DNA tested but wasn’t ever transferred to the guy we bought him from, how would we go about actually getting him registered in our name to be able to register offspring?

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    Do you have his papers or his application for registration in hand?

3. Noisy Bottle Babies

Oct 7, 2019
    Galesville,WI
    It’s an application and his papers but the guy who we bought him from never registered him and his name is printed as the buyer

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You will have to get the seller to fill in the rest of the paper and register the goat in his/her name, you will have to tell the seller what name you want for the goat.

You can offer to pay the fees, if you want to.
    Put a rush order on it if the association is allowing it.
    Do know, ABGA has been way behind and super busy.

By rights, the seller was not right to sell him to you without the paperwork in order and already registered.
    After he has that done the seller can now sign and fill in the back of the registration paper over to you.

That's the only way because that sellers name is on the papers unfortunately, so you can’t skip the middle man.

5. Noisy Bottle Babies

Oct 7, 2019
    Galesville,WI
    well that sucks we aren’t really in a rush any way to get him registered just seeing what kind of mess we had to deal with

6. Laura Pelt

Laura Pelt New Member

Apr 20, 2018
    If you intend to register him, I would highly recommend starting to get things started now. I bought a does the same way-never registered to the lady I bought from. I had to go back to the original breeder, get signed paperwork, and send that in. Then found that her sire had not been DNA tested because at the time of my doe's birth, it wasn't required. So since sire was deceased, I had to apply for a buck exception. It took *almost a year* to get that, even with the original breeder sending a letter along with the exception paperwork. So once I finally got that, got the registration for the lady I bought her from filled out, I did my girl's paperwork to transfer to me. That was in April of 2020. Still nothing from ABGA and my doe is now deceased.

I learned a hard lesson with all this-I will never purchase an animal who has not been properly registered by any previous owners. All the fees and time I wasted and now my Tina is gone. If I ever get her registration, I might register her daughters. The two I kept are already registered as 50% Kiko and that took all of two weeks to get back.