The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
14,615 Posts
The herd prefix is your own letters in the right ear. You can use whatever you want but it has to be approved so that no duplicates are out there.
Say your name is Sally Jo McNugget. You could apply for SJCN.
What you do to register any off spring is ask the owner of the sire to send you a "Service Memmo" with sire's name & registration #, signed & dated by the owner.
Also of the dam's numbers if you don't own her.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Nancyd is right. Its so there is never 2 goats with the same tattoo. What I did was call them and we went threw a ton of different ones till we found one that wasn't took. Then it worked out awesome that I could use the same for usbg.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Yes their year they were born in letter for. Example 2013 is c 2014 is d and on the also their number. Every kid needs a different number. I start a 1 for the first kid born then go on. I had 15 reg. Kids born so far so I have c1 c2 on and on. Does that make sense???? Lol

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Well you don't have to show proof if that's what you mean. But take it from me who didn't tat to her buck till he was big and 2 its way better to do it young. If you see that goat and the buyer is like me they will check the tattoo before buying. Also I'm guessing if that goat went to a show the judge will also check. But even the doelings I know I'm going to keep they get a tattoo at about 2 months old.

·
14,615 Posts
Its in your best interest for the reasons Jessica has pointed out.
I have goats with papers & tats who have never seen a ring.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
^^^ done of mine have ever seen a ring and tattooed too. Was also thinking its also a very good idea to make sure they are tattooed if ever there is a question on who that goat belongs to. Say one day one goes missing and finds a new home. You can prove that's your goat by that tattoo.

·
14,760 Posts
We register all of the doe kids, and tattoo, regardless if my kids keep them and show them in 4-H or not.
We just do them all at the same time, and usually while they are young so they are easier to hold.

We were told we had to also scrapie tag our goats, although I know many people <pro breeders> don't do it, we do it because knowing my luck they'd say something about it.
So if you use scrapie tags, you can also list that tag # on their registration paper.
In fact, I know someone who selects their tattoo # to coincide with the scrapie tag #
For example we have a doe that has A307 as her ear tattoo, and her scrapie tag # is 307.

We do it like this A01, A02, A03, etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts