aborting does

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sixshooterfarm, Nov 4, 2007.

1. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    ok, I think I need to make a bigger pen for my does, within the last several months I have been having a problem with a few of my does aborting. Within a month of being bred I see they get a bloody discharge. Now we had dogs attack a several months ago which REALLY stressed out my girls and I know thats what caused that, but I had a doe who had never been bred before who was new to the herd, get a bloody discharge and then just yesterday I noticed that another doe of mine, who is kinda the herd queen with a bloody discharge, she was bred sept 18th. I know during feeding time everyone is raming everyone, so I am thinking I need to either 1 build a bigger pen with seperate feeding areas or 2 build more pens... I read about abortions and toxoplasmosis and stuff like that, I have a lot of live healthy babies just a few does abort then go on to breed and have healthy babies. I am thinking I just have a mosh pit going on causing this lol. I guess you just see more of this when you have a herd of 30 plus goats! any suggestions? Should I be giving them any meds?

2. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Have you thought about clamydia (sp)? They will usually abort their first pregnancy after contracting it and then go on to carry any other pregnancies just fine but will pass it on to any other doe who comes in contact with her bodily fluid and the circle will continue. If this were me I would do a feed with tetracycline in it for everyone, even the bucks or I would do LA200 shots for everyone but the feed is easier. You would need to feed it to everyone for 5 to 7 days in a row.

3. cougcowgirl

cougcowgirl Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Yakima, WA
    Chlamydia is what my goats got in 2001 that made half of our goats abort. vets can test for it or you can vaccinate with an antibiotic on your own.

4. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok well sounds simple! If that is the worst that happens fine! I do have a poweder Terramycin (oxytetracycline HCI),. Says

Broad-spectrum antibiotic
    for control and treatment of specific diseases in poultry, cattle, swine, sheep and bees.

I beleive you put it in their water. Will this work, and will it hurt the does that are pregnant? Cause I know that la-200 will cause birth defects.

5. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Yes it will work fine and will not hurt the pregnant does and may help them. You might want to put some kool-aide in the water to encourage them to drink it. Mine love it when I do my spring and fall cocci prevention in the water cause I add the kool-aide. I add a cap full of powder kool-aide per 2 gal of water. Mine seem to like the tropical punch the best. LOL

6. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    so how much should I give them?
    i have a 6.4 oz packet of it, how much do I put in their bucket of water

7. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Oh and where did you hear or read that LA-200 causes birth defects. I havent heard that and know that alot of breeders use it to prevent abortions in herds with clamydia.

8. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    wow really? I have ALWAYS heard to not use la 200 on bred does or babies under 6 months cause it can mess with their growth, something with their bones and teeth?

9. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    What does the package say. Mine always says 1 tsp per 2 gal of water but yours may say something different.

10. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    says 10 mg per pound of body weight

11. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    so can I just go down and give everyone a shot of la-200?? that would be way easier and I would KNOW they got what they needed. and your 100% sure it wont hurt bred does?

12. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    I can't tell you what to do and you might want to ask your vet to make sure but I did do some digging on the internet and it did say that long term use can interfear with bone and teeth inutero and in young kids.

Here is the info I have found

Chlamydia:

This bacterial infection is a major cause of abortion in goats. If a doe gets is exposed to Chlamydia, even if she never show actual signs of Chlamydia, the doe will abort the next time she gets pregnant if she is not treated.

Treatment:

Give all goats in the herd shots of Oxytetracycline (click here for more information)

13. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Your funny , I know you are not telling me what to do lol. Well powder or liquid is all the same, and it says long term use.. One shot wont hurt. What do you think, have you given la-200 to a bred doe before??

14. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Fiasco Farms

=Do not use any tetracycline on pregnant does or kids under six months old because It may interfere with bone & teeth formation both in utero and while kids are growing.

but if you have used it on your does before and have never had a problem I trust you 100% more than what I just read on the internet

15. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Yea I know but I gotta cover myself. LOL I would hate to give someone the wrong advise and something happen. And yes I just gave a pregnant doe LA-200 cause everyone in that pen had the snots and some had rattling in their chest after 5 days of rain and cooler weather after months of a drought. We shall see in a couple months huh. I don't remember if I have ever done it before. I don't usually have to give antibiotics much.

16. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    I saw that too but if you look up chlymdia treatment on Fias co farm you will find that Tetracycline is what she recomends so go figure. But I do know that long term use is what causes damage and to me 5 days isnt long term.

17. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Well for right now, I will just give the la-200 to the does who have aborted, then when we figure it out I will gie the shots to the rest of the herd. Now I have a question about this whole chlamydia thing. EVERYWHERE I read it is about dead babies and everything. There are no dead babies, like I said they are barley and maybe a little over a month along. WHen babies are born here they are fine and healthy and happy babies. SO if I was having a chlamydia epidemic here wouldent I be lossing everything including newborns??

18. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Well here if I had more than one doe abort really close together I would treat for chlymdia no questions ask. With your abortions happening so early that there are no fetuses to test I don't know what to say. Have you brought in new goats that would have upset the herd status and caused unusual fighting?

Here is a really good page on abortions in goats.

http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/U/UNP-0079/

19. cute kids

cute kids Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    i don't know how the test for chlamydia is done, but if this were my goat i would get her tested. using the wrong or unnecessary antibiotic helps to produce the antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria that are a real scary deal.
    tetracycline in pregnant women produces discolored teeth in her child. don't know if this is what happens in goats or not.

20. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok figured it out,all the goats are getting shots of la 200, they say as long as it is not used like ALL the time during pregnancy they will be fine