Aborting!! Help!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by KW Farms, Feb 8, 2009.

1. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Ok, so I am just sick to my stomach right now. I had 3 does abort over the past couple weeks and this morning I went out and one of my favorite does aborted with quads that were only 4 weeks from delivery. :tears: I am just about in tears right now. I feel aweful.

I have them on grass hay at the moment, no mixing, just good quality grass, constant water, lots of straw to bed in, shelters, no feed changes, dewormed them 3 months ago, no shots, and there's nothing they could have gotten into. The only thing I can think of is that since I have a pretty big herd that maybe they just keep butting each other or something?

This is just heartbreaking and I need to figure out what to do. Thanks guys and please send good thoughts and prayers.

2. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    First sorry to hear you are dealing with this. If this were my herd every doe 100 days bred would get a shot of LA200 or Biomycin 200 then the entire herd would be put on Armycin crumbles daily till everyone kids. You sound like you are having an abortion storm caused by clymidia. Also you might want to have the does on some sort of Alfalfa, either pellets or hay for their calcium needs.

3. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    We've got good quality alfalfa that we were feeding, but then had to slowly switch to grass when we started running out, so now should I just slowly start mixing it?

I'm going to do some research and try and figure out what to do.

4. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Well with good milk goats you are just asking for major problems with out alfalfa in some form. If you are running out of Alfalfa hay feed it till it runs out and then add alfalfa pellets if you can't find more.

As far as the abortions go you need to act fast so not to lose more.

5. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    So should I give them the shots right now then? And wait and watch?

6. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    If it were me I would do the shots then get to the feed store to find the antibiotic crumbles to top dress their feed with. One shot will not do it but will get it into their system quick to jump start the treatment. I will look for the article that tells in detail how to treat this.

7. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
  8. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I have good milking goats, and I have never fed alfalfa. In fact, it isnt even available here.
    LW

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    If/when another doe aborts save the placenta and the kid in separate baggies and send them off to a lab to have them checked out for certain diseases that can cause abortions.

Also I would start the antibiotics since it will take a while to get the results back.

Alfalfa is good, I didn't really feed any last year, but this year I am feeding the pellets since the goats waste the hay.

Hang in there. I know how it feels to have a doe abort only a month away from kidding. Don't blame yourself for it. Just act fast and save the others. :hug: :hug:

10. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Thanks you so so much Teresa!! I have never dealt with this so you are such a BIG help!! :hug: And thank you to Runaround. :hug: You all have helped me so much already!!!

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Kylee. Do you have cats? The reason I ask is on a forum a while ago (I do not believe it was here) someone was dealing with the same problem you are having. They found out that the cats were doing their business in some of the hay and something about the pee having something in it that was causing the goats to abort.

She was told to do what Teresa said and she managed to save the rest.

I am so sorry about your loss. :hug:

12. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Nope, no cats. Ok i'm glad that worked. I was just so worried after this morning so i'll be getting all the stuff and treating these guys and let you all know how it goes. Thanks again everyone!

13. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    JMO, but I wouldnt give ANYTHING to the does just yet. I would gather up the aborted quads you just had, the doe that had them, one of the does that previously aborted and one that is still pregnant. Take them all to the vet ASAP. The vet will take bloods from the does for analysis, and will take the aborted kids for testing. If you start giving shots and what not, that can confound the results.

I try to do my own vetting where I can, but this is not the time to scrooge! You have already had four does abort - in my situation (with my fecundity and prices for kids) that equals $1000. You cant afford to lose any more. Dont rely on our best guesses, consult your vet who can actually see the animals in person and do the tests required, hopefully diagnose the problem and put a stop to it before you lose anymore.

I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. I know what it feels like because we went through this in 2006. I really really hope you can diagnose and stop it.

14. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Karen the best way to test is an aborted fetus and the placenta and in the meantime while she waits for the results more does could abort. The antibiotic will not harm and can very well help. There are some huge sheep farms who have to do this every year to save kids from being aborted. Losing kids is loss of money when a cheap bag of antibiotic crumbles can save money. The vets are great and can help find out what caused it but good farm practice is one abortion shrug and move on, more than one time to act and act fast.

KW farms yes I would get the placenta tested so your know for sure and in the meantime put a stop to any more abortions thru the meds. If the test come back it wasnt chlymidia then just stop the meds no harm done. If the test come back positive for chlymidia then you have most likely saved more does from aborting.

15. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh yes, we're going to call the vet ASAP tomorrow morning. He was at a different clinic today and there's only one livestock vet in our area. I saved the placenta and the kids.

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I sure hope you get answers soon. I agree with Teresa, I would do the antibiotics right away.

17. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I'm so sorry that you are experiencing these awful losses. I don't have the experience to help you but did want to expound on what sweetgoats was talking about regarding the cats. Cat feces can cause toxoplasmosis (that's why pregnant women are never supposed to clean a litter box) and cause abortions.

I just talked with my own goat vet a couple weeks ago regarding both toxoplasmosis and chlamydia in goats. The only way to test for both of them is to send in either the placenta or a dead kid. The placenta is actually preferred by the labs. You do NOT want to freeze it... just bag it tightly and refrigerate it until you send it; preferably in 24 hours.

The other cause for multiple doe abortions in a herd is CAE. That was the first one that my vet mentioned. I'm assuming your herd is CAE negative but when was the last time your herd was tested for CAE?

18. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
  19. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    The placenta should give some good information what's going on. You can tell a lot by the cotyledons (the "buttons") in a placenta. I sure hope you get to the bottom of this.

20. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    How are things going?