The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a doe that aborted this morning about a month early, not quite developed and no hair, and I was wondering, should I keep this doe or no, she is a nubian, the only nubian I own, and she is fine now. Need advice, and ive decided we need a new category called advice thanks lol

·
Super Moderator
59,953 Posts
Is this the first time? There are so many reasons for aborting, many of which have nothing to do with the female herself. You could have a necropsy done on the fetus to find out the reason.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Do you have the resources to keep her until you can rebreed? If you're low on feed, etc sell her. If you can afford to keep her and she's one you like then keep her. I just faced this same dilemma with one of mine. We're keeping her for another season cause her doelings from last year are nice. Since we're a hobby farm and not dependent on the goats for a living we have the luxury to make that decusion

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
The decision is really up to you. We're keeping ours because she grew 2 gorgeous does last year so there isn't any reason she won't do it again. Now...if she aborts again next year she's outta here. Although....my daddy would say the proper business decision is to get rid of her. Lol

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
Have a doe that aborted this morning about a month early, not quite developed and no hair, and I was wondering, should I keep this doe or no, she is a nubian, the only nubian I own, and she is fine now. Need advice, and ive decided we need a new category called advice thanks lol
I cannot think of a single instance in which aborting is the doe's fault. It is always due to improper management, disease, being rammed, or the kid not developing correctly. I see no reason to cull her for something she cannot control.

·
Premium Member
10,547 Posts
It could be from several things. I would keep her if you l like her. One abortion is not uncommon. I bet she was butted by another goat. B

·
Super Moderator
14,802 Posts
I have a doe that will not carry to term. Even took her and fetus to vet for testing and she and it was good.....her body simply can not do it. I keep her because she is half dairy and produces a ton of milk and on top of that will adopt anything I throw at her. As for your doe if she was mine she would get another chance but better be on her best behaviour lol also since she is a Nubian I would milk and freeze it even if it seems she doesn't have that much milk it will graduly come in more and that way she's not a total hay magot :p

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is scary to think that a head but can end it, i wish she had milk or colostrum or anything but she has nothing in there I will try a little more incase she still has the hormones to produce it.

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
Darn. If you were closer I would take her off your hands if you decided to cull her. I wouldn't mind having a few more Nubians - I like them and they cross really well with my Kiko bucks. ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts