The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
nlhayesp
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a goat forum, but I also have sheep. Last night I found one of our Royal White ewes (four year old) with a wet, reddish tail. She was bred in mid-September. This morning she was reluctant to get up with the others to eat. Her tail is still wet and reddish, so I am presuming an abortion. The "reddish" is not bright red, fresh-blood in appearance, but a brownish, old blood look. I did get her to get up and go to get hay, but by the time I was done with chores, she was back to laying down, chewing cud. She seems "off", but not "down." What can I do for her? I'm thinking penicillin and vitamin B complex, but anything else?

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
Get a temp on her, fever as well as the likely abortion can cause her to be off. Dosing with the Pen G won't hurt but giving it with no sign of infection won't help.
A dose of B complex as well as probiotic paste and even a squirt or 2 of Nutridrench will give her a boost.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Did you find the fetuses? If not, you might want to get her checked and make sure they aren't still inside her. I just had a friend that had one abort and then found the ewe dead the next morning. Thought the fetuses looked like they might have been dead before aborting... Just something to think about. If she hasn't expelled them yet, it could cause bigger problems for you

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.