The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not having the greatest luck ! Does that were due next month - are aborting. I went to check on them on the rented farm yesterday after dropping the children to school, and saw one doe not well, after aborting, first thing was to shove the bale of hay out of the back of the car into the seats in the middle, got the doe, and to the vet, then once I had her from the vet, and I dropped her at the house so I could keep an eye on, had to run back and get the fetus, then I noticed another one a couple of feet away, trampled, but I got both, drove to the lab, had to be there before it closed at 12.30, and back again to get two of my children at 1.30 for speech, then spent a sleepless night worrying, dreaming of goat fetuses, went to check today, after running with the children, going to get Charlie dehorned, etc. No light in the shed at the rented farm., so had to let all the girls off, and 4 more fetus, ran then to get my daughter at 2, carried her into the shed, (fine thing to do on her birthday) got a large bucket and fork and gathered up the fetus's. I dont think this is the end of it, hoping to get the vaccine before the weekend. I suspect Clamydia, as the hay is not the best, but then not much choice. Please someone pray that things improve for us! Feels like we are jinxed sometimes.

·
Premium Member
28,369 Posts
Oh BRIDGET!!! how sad. I will pray something comes with the testing to give you an idea on what to do.

But if you have LA 200 (or equivenant) the time is now to give to all does!

I will get the dosage here in a second for you.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
If this were me all my remaining pregnant does would get a shot of LA200 or bio-mycin200 and then put on the cumbles till they kid. All does who aborted need to get shots of antibiiotics also. Not sure the vaccine will do any good at this point for the does that havent aborted you want to stop the abortions and tetracyclines do that.

Sorry you are going through this.

·
Premium Member
28,369 Posts
back in bed - forgot to grab goat book before I went back to bed. if someone comes in I will ask them to get it for me because it has the dosages for the meds in it

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
problem

Problem is when they are not beside your house, but at a rented farm about two miles away, and no lights electric, and usually I have no help till the weekends or at night. Going to bring them all home by the weekend. not sure what Iam going to do for sheds though.

·
Registered
246 Posts
if you suspect the hay, it is listeria. antibiotic will have no effect what so ever.
is it clamydia, all does need to be on antibiotic and stay on it until they have kidded.
have you had pink eye last year? are they all bred to the same buck? this can be a STD from the buck.
very sorry you have to go through this. i hope you can save some of the pregnancies.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh the ones that we know aborted, did get the antibiotics and we are getting the vaccine - vet ordered it, and we are scheduled to vaccinate everyone on Sunday.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no fetus today

I let them out at 2pm watching the tails, saw some messy ones, but no fetus that I could see in the straw today. Dottie was standing around listless, think she may have aborted, brought her to vet - she ad 105 temp. She is on antibiotics, also vet gave me tetroxy LA to inject all the does that are left with, which I am going to do on Sunday when i have some help. Also bringing them home next week, 2 one at a time in the bck of the car . I havent broken down yet. - though came close as we had to put one of our dogs down. She killed some poultry, which we reprimanded her for she got the shitzu a month or so ago and was shaking her, today - I was putting Dottie away and the collie came out with a mouthful of feathers - she attacked a HUGE turkey, and had it down, turkey is still alive, but I decided that was it, the lab and the jack russell don't bother the poultry. This turkey was given as a pet to my son as it was 2 yrs old! I had to make the decision - I didnt want any of the baby goats getting attacked. LOL - I went shopping and found a bottle of liquor determined to come home and get drunk - but since Im not a drinker - had trouble with a mouthful! house looks like crap - but Hopefully I get working on it tomorrow morning, as I have to pick up the kids, and go to work tomorrow night, and Saturday morning. the last three days I has been horrible.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Oh Bridget I'm so sorry to hear about this!! :(

Do you have cats at all around the barn? Have you considered toxoplasmosis? If it is that, I don't think you can really give anything to them for it, but if they have toxoplasmosis once they get it they will be immune for a while.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Sorry it does sound like you are having a bad few days. I know you feel overwhelmed right now but the sun will shine soon and things will get better. I will be thinking about you.

·
Premium Member
10,557 Posts
Bridget, I am so sorry to hear about the streak of bad luck. I do want to say if it is at all possible, you need to give those remaining girls their shots now. If you have to wait until Sunday that is just that much longer and a better chance for them to abort.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know - its just that with no help, I have to work tonight tomorrow morning, got company coming in the afternoon and Im working again tomorrow evening if I don't get tings completed, as well as trying to get the house inorder, pick up children etc. I have to do things on my own, and I want to make sure that I have two people helping one to write down tag numbers and the date while I inject. I could do it at night time - but again there is no electric in the shed so I only have certain times to do it. Daylight hours.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so far no more

I thought Honey was sick the other day, 3 weeks to go with her, triplets I think. No more fetuses in the straw. I think 5 aborted in all. 6 fetuses, so somebody I think aborted twins, going by the dirty tails. We injected 21 on Sunday, there are some more. Wasnt sure whether or not to inject Gypsy or big girl (they don't breed). Still waiting on results from the lab. Funny though, I havent gotten upset too much. I must be getting tough. Anyway getting them scanned on Thursday, and then will start bringing the preggers home and leave the empties down with the boys for a few months, I doubt they will come in heat tll they recover.

·
Premium Member
10,557 Posts
Well, it is good to heart that you have not found any more fetuses. That is great news.

Good luck and keep us posted. WE are looking forward to hearing about babies.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts