? about baby Alpine on milk replacer

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by JessaLynn, Feb 27, 2010.

1. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Someone I know has a 3 week old Alpine baby doeling that the mother died and it's been on milk replacer.It has very runny poo I suspect from the nasty milk replacer it's been on.It's a bit skinny but alert.It has crusty eyes.They have been bottle feeding it on demand and not on a schedule or anything.It's not had any type of meds or treatment either.I was offered this goat and I want to take it asap but I need help to get it back to health.I want to switch it to our goats milk but will it upset it's stomach just to make the switch all the sudden? Also they keep it inside their house.I don't have that option because I run a daycare and don't have a place in my house for it to be in.Would it be alright in our shop with heat lamps on it? I want to go get it soon so any help is appreciated.Thanks!

2. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    yes it will be fien in the shop. it sounds like the kids just had a rough start to life and the milk replacer probably isn't helping much, i'd transition the kid into the goats milk slowly, and get it on a regular feeding scheduel

3. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Also forgot to mention it's being housed with 4 dogs :( Most likely stressed out to.It looks pathetic but I can't sit back and not do anything.It's most likely going to die if I don't try.I don't have Alpines and don't need it but don't want the little thing to die so I'll take it in and hopefully get it back to health and if nothing is wrong with it then sell it or something.Watch it will turn into my favorite goat and be a pet.LOL Thanks for responding!

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    sounds like you have a good setup for the kid..hope everything goes well!

5. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    When transitioning to goats milk should I just do half and half for a few days and then all goats milk after that or how would ya'll do that?
    Also the goats stuck inside until warm weather breaks right?Wondering if I could get away with putting it in a large dog crate in the house instead

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    A large dog crate will be fine, just be sure he gets out of it to play. As far as thre switch over to milk, go with 3/4 replacer to 1/4 milk for a couple feedings then 1/2 and 1/2 for a few more then after a few days of slowly increasing the milk over the replacer he should be fine.

7. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Thank you liz.I'm so lost without this place and ya'll :hug: This being my first year with goats and all, I'm learning ALOT really quick. Hoping to get this little gal back into shape.My husband thinks I'm crazy for taking her but I can't help myself.I got to try to help her.I'm worried she will be unhappy alone out in our shop.Will it be safe to let her in the barn with the rest while I'm going about my chores and then put her back in the crate when I'm finished so she can be around the other goats for alittle bit? Don't want her to get cold or stress her out.It would be for about 20 or 30 minutes at the most and I would do that twice a day.

8. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Do you have the baby yet? I'm taking my bottle girls out to the barn during the day to spend some time interacting with the other goats, I would think it would be fine to do that as long as she doesn't get too cold. My dogs are around the kids and that is not a problem here. Did the kid get some colostrum (they should have milked out the doe for whatever she had to give), bless you for your efforts, hope it goes well!

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    scours can happen for a variety of reasons and not all milk replacers are bad. Just because she has runny poo doesnt mean the owners are doing something wrong, it happens.

As to how to get her into good shape -- You can do half milk replacer and half goats milk and then switch her over to goats milk.

Have her poo checked for coccidia -- and dont let her out with your herd until you know for sure, because that stuff is nasty and if you can keep it off your property as much as possible I truly recommend it. Once coccidia is there its just about there for good.

My baby goats love it when the dogs are with them - they lick them and mother them and they arent small dogs either. So not all dogs are a bad thing to a goat. IF they have no reason to fear them they dont. Fear is a learned behavior

If her stools are real runny you can give her some pepto and mix some yogurt into her bottle for good bacteria

10. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Just got her today.Her eyes are crusty and watering and look red.I suspect pink eye.What's the treatment for a kid this young??? Her stools are realy nasty runny almost mucusy it seems.It's yellow and stinks all to high heaven!! She is in our house for now until I feel confident enough she is in better condition.
    I did give her probios forgot to mention.Also her coats really scruffy looking.THey have lost several goats within months of each other.Either kids or and the mommas :(

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Take her temp, and do a fecal. It could be worms it could be cocci. Better safe then sorry. AS for her eyes. You can start with some terramycin, the eye issue could be pink eye or as simple as a cold and some stress.
    beth

12. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Drops in the eyes? I have LA200.How much of it and how often?

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Get some pepto bismol into her, it will help with the diarrhea...as far as her eyes go, wipe them with warm salt water and you can use either terramycin eye ointment or injectible pennicillan, a few drops in her eyes won't hurt. Don't use both at the same time, one or the other. At 3 weeks old she is VERY susceptible to coccidia, please have a fecal run on her as soon as you can. Also, if you were given any of the replacer she's been on, get it mixed and into the amount of goats milk as Stacey mentioned...half and half, at this rate she'll adjust fine and the quicker she's on the goats milk the better.

The LA 200 is good...2-3 drops in each eye will do. And as Sparks said, get her temp, cocci will sometimes cause a fever.

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yellow stools at 3 weeks old -- could easily be ecoli

Get some oral neomycin - that works from what I hear.

But again a fecal will give you a better idea of what you are dealign with and in the end it will save you money

15. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Her temp is 103.3 and maken her the half and half last two feedings which she was very eager to guzzle down :) I'll call the vet tomorrow to see if I can get a fecal done asap to take out the guess work.Thanks everyone for the input! Will update as soon as I have the results.She's a cutie and my daughter named her Bessie.She is very active and if it weren't for the runny poo I would let her run the house :wink:

16. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Terramycin works wonderfully for any eye irritation. Only a few treatments and it clears right up. You can get it at TSC. ;)

17. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Thanks! I put a sweater on her and took her outside to play today.She is a very happy kid and was running and jumping everywhere.I have her on all goats milk now and her stools are starting to harden up a bit.They aren't watery but clumpy runny.Color has changed to a dark yellow brown so it could have been the milk replacer to give her that color of poo.I couldn't get to the store today had to work late but will get it tomorrow for sure.I held off on calling the vet and just give it a few days to see how she does on the goats milk.I realy like this little gal..she's super sweet! Leaning towards keeping her lol

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup the replacer or the mixture combination could be the reason she had the funny colored stools.

I am glad to hear she is doing better

19. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    HOUSTON WE HAVE PELLETS!!! LOL That is such a relief.It was just the replacer then.I got the eye ointment and using that for her twice a day. She is very spunky

20. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    WONDERFUL :leap: Glad to hear she's doing so well!