About CL - maybe getting some brush goats

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by BeeLady, May 5, 2009.

1. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

The place I own has not had goats on it since I brought my two does home in December 2008. At least no goats in 90 years so I am not worried about CL.

However, my son and I are thinking of running a dozen or so brush goats (mixed, Spanish, boer crosses). While we won't be buying any from the auction ring, I do want to know if the vaccinations to prevent CL are reliable if we buy them from local breeder/owners. I feel that if I can't keep CL out of the brush herd, my dairy goats can't ever graze or be allowed wherever the brush goats go.

My dairy goats are dog gentle and follow me to the pond, the windmill, etc., all the pastures where I would be rotating the brush goats.

Any management suggestions?
  2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    They do have CL vaccines... but they are for sheep....goat breeders used it in the past and when they gave it to them.... the goats broke out with CL really bad other goats were OK...the sheep vac .... isn't right for goats.....

I am always scared...about using anything new that comes out.....I like to wait for them to get the bugs out....if you know what I mean.... :wink:

I hear that they may have a CL vaccine for goats ..but I do not know anything about it... :shrug:

I hope someone else can tell you more...

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Yep there is NOT a GOAT vaccine yet.
  4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    you can have a vaccine made out of California, or you can use the sheep vaccine.

I personally made the choice, after much consideration, talking with WADDL, and others in the area to go ahead and vaccinate mine with the sheep vaccine from CL. I have not had a breakout from the vaccine. I have a strict protocal though as to how I do it - they must be blood tested prior to vaccine before they come on my property with a negative and then I test again once here and then vaccinate.

But that was by my choice and I don't know anyone else that does it.
  5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    The vets here have told us they will NOT give anyone a vaccine to give to a goat.
  6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    We have a vaccine (the same vaccine) registered here for sheep and goats :shrug: and as a result CL is very, very uncommon here.

What I would do is buy the scrub goats, vaccinate all of them regardless of prior history, then vaccinate your dairy stock, keep up to date on the vaccinations (here our vaccines are supposed to be given yearly, I give it every six months to the goats) and I think if you did that you would be perfectly safe to let the dairies graze the same pasture.
  7. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

Wow, sounds like I'll need to do a lot of research on this, especially if there is a chance the sheep vaccine for CL could cause the infection in goats. Was hoping for a no-brainer but sounds like the goat industry is not there yet.

Thanks for the info and I will hope to soon be able to make the decision or hope a vaccine is approved in the U.S. I am glad to hear that Kelebek & Keren have had good results. I could only vaccinate the brush goats and keep them off the same pasture as the dairies for a year or two to see how it goes. Don't think I want to vaccinate my dairy goats (beloved as they are now) and risk unwanted side effects.

I'll start by searching all the posts on CL here. If anyone does know of an ag site where this is discussed (Extension agency), I'd appreciate the info.
  8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    We use alot of diffrent things on our goats that are labeled for other animals...The vaccine in question is called Case Bac made by Colorado Serum Company.....it does warn that it is for Sheep and not labled for goats and from what I understand, it has the same risks as any other injectable as far as anaphylactic reactions AND if the Goat/Sheep is given the vaccination and thy already have Cl it will cause the condition to worsen by bringing up abcesses very quickly.

One thing you already know is to check over any goat that you are thinking of bringing in....Cl is often times a noticeable disease, abcesses on the neck, under the ears, around the top of the udder area or scars from healed abcesses in these areas would be clues as to possible Cl infection....therefore run the other way and douse your shoes with bleach and don't step foot into your vehicle without doing so otherwise you may bring it to your property. So....when looking at other goats make sure you wear old clothing/shoes that you won't mind getting rid of.
  9. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

Good tips, Liz. Thanks.